chemo

thief

my dog thief is on palladia 50 mg after 40 tablets @1 ea day its the palladia thats killing him not the mastcell tumour the data sheet says 1 tab every other day not every day and the handling instructions were never given to me does anyone know which is correct 

I’m sorry to read this.  I have no advice on Palladia, but googled and found this extract in an article.  Please note the comments (their capitals) about side effects.  

Go back to your vet and if you feel you are not getting clear instructions on how to medicate your dog or if the vet seems unsure, seek out another vet for another opinion, keeping in mind that finding correct dosages and/or correct medications can be a matter of trial and error, so it is very important that you keep seeing your vet regularly throughout the treatment especially if your dog is as sick as Thief seems to be.  

Good luck and best wishes for Thief’s improvement.   

In terms of administration, PALLADIA is given approximately every day. It should be

given with food. If side effects occur, the most important point is to STOP THE DRUG. Side effects are generally reversible. Additionally, preventive and protective medications can be dispensed to help mitigate the risks and effects of treatment. Treatment will restart after the patient has recovered and is then given less frequently and or at a lower dose.

Sorry to hear about your boy. 

You may be better off consulting with a vet oncologist. There are other chemo options for MCT if the side effects of palladia are severe. My little girl is part way through her second round of chemo for Grade 3 MCT (now metastatic) but she gets vinblastine. Her protocol is vinblastine every 2-3 weeks for six treatments (each treatment is a 30 min vet oncologist visit). She did have one treatment of CCNU at the beginning but we dropped that because it was harder to dose tablets to her small size. At this stage I have decided against palladia as she tested negative for the c-Kit mutation. She remains her happy self throughout treatment - eating, drinking, running, playing - all completely normal. No nausea or vomiting or anything like that. The only side effect is neutropenia a week after each treatment but a short course of antibiotics protects her from any infection. She is also on prednisolone, famotidine, and claratyne. Her quality of life is excellent and you would never know she has metastatic disease and is receiving chemo. 

I see there is a vet oncologist in Perth here. Perhaps ask your vet (or another vet) to consult with him, if you cannot see him directly. Good luck with your boy.  

On 18/08/2018 at 2:01 PM, kayla1 said:

She remains her happy self throughout treatment - eating, drinking, running, playing - all completely normal. No nausea or vomiting or anything like that. The only side effect is neutropenia a week after each treatment but a short course of antibiotics protects her from any infection.  

This was our experience with chemo (different cancer and protocol though).

I completely agree with Kayla1’s suggestion to consider consulting with a vet oncologist. 

I hope you can get some answers.