Where to advertise

Rascalmyshadow

2 hours ago, Rascalmyshadow said:

After being in contact with numerous interested people I have a lady coming to meet Hugo on Friday, I have very mixed feelings about it all but my gut is telling me she seems like the ideal home.

Apart from him being in a stimulating environment with no competition she is also happy to bring him back to me for grooming so at least I’ll be able to make sure he’s being well cared for.

Ohhh.. it will be a tummy twisting week for you . I do hope all goes well on Friday , and for any trial period !  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, PANDI-GIRL said:

@Rascalmyshadow  if Hugo comes back home for grooming,  he will want to stay home with you,  he might be upset with that situation,  my little girl would cry for me

@PANDI-GIRL it really depends on the dog. I have several dogs that I have fostered (some for quite long terms) return to me regularly for grooming and only one of them ever made a fuss about going home with their new owner after a groom- I asked that another groomer be found for her, but I did also get a savvy friend to do a post adoption check on that dog to make she she was not unsettled or unhappy in her new home (she wasn't!!). Some dogs get over-clingy and she was one of them!

I imagine that Rascal knows Hugo well enough to decide if the occasional return would fret him.

• Like 1

Yes I had considered that but I had many fosters (a couple long termers) come back regularly for grooming and they were fine, got just as excited arriving as they did when they went home.

Also I wouldn’t be able to do his grooming until March or later next year, once I properly recovered from my c-section, so there would a huge amount of time between adoption and seeing him again, probably long enough for him to be well established in a new home.

To be honest I don’t really want to have to continue grooming him for someone else, I gave up grooming because of the stress it caused and I get anxiety just thinking about grooming someone else’s dog.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Rascalmyshadow said:

It’s done Hugo has left on trial in his new home, I feel quite empty but I think he’s going to have the best life.

If only doing the right thing didn’t have to be so hard :(

Oh well done!   That would have been really hard … but knowing how much and how deeply you thought about this, I'd think you can be pretty sure it's a great home, … and it's on trial, right?     

And often, even making a hard decision is not as bad as agonising over a decision.     Kudos to you for putting Hugo's interests first .:heart:

• 5 months later...

I know this is an older thread but I thought I would give it one last update.

I have been staying in touch with Hugo’s new owner and he is doing amazing!!!

She has an adult son with autism ( whom I met before Hugo went on trial) and Hugo adores him, he was so gentle and had a wonderful vibe about him, she also has a Mum in a nursing home so she takes Hugo in for visits, he gets to go to so many places, beaches, bush walks, holidays etc. the most perfect life.

I want to say thank you to those of you that helped me with support and pointing me in the right direction to rehome him in the right way, I have done my fair share of rescue and rehome but when it’s your own dog it is so much harder.

• Like 7

It is a huge relief and honestly I don’t think he really ever fit in here properly, my cats are so happy not having him constantly chase them.

As much as I love poodles and have owned them for 20 years I’ve come to realise unfortunately they are no longer suitable for our lifestyle.

• Like 2

What a wonderful update, Rascal.  You’ve done so well in acknowledging and respecting and acting upon Hugo’s needs for a happy life.  There can be no greater love or commitment.  

I received an update regarding my latest rehoming (also a little orange poodle, but of course he wasn’t mine so a totally different emotional journey).  It was a video of Simba racing on a beach with his big poodleX bro.  Made my heart sing as yours must be doing knowing how well Hugo’s journey has turned out.  

:heart:  :heart:  :heart:  

• Like 3