please help me decide between 2 breeds

klw

hi, im ready to get a puppy now after many years without a dog,the 2 breeds im choosing between are shetland sheepdog and keeshond.i looked at the breeds 101 but there is nothing on keeshonds ive read as much as i can about both breeds and i just cant decide !!! i have 2 cats and lots of birds.out of the 2 breeds could i please have opinions on which breed would be better with cats especially.i understand any dog can deter from their behaviour but i just needed to put a vote out there to help me decide

thankyou 

Edited by klw

I don’t think anyone can vote on 2 breeds that have  different needs to live with .

If your getting a puppy training them to accept the cats is fairly easy ,having said that training established cats too also have manners towards the dogs is often not considered as important .Narky cats are just as bad but in the end you pick the breed you want to live with for the ne t 12 plus years 

well a lot has changed since then,the cats are now indoor/outdoor so they can escape from a pup if they need too and ive sold the chooks which was a big worry especially with a whippet! i also work part time now 3 days a week so have more time to spend with a dog.i had a dobermann for 14 years and had no problems at all but just want a smaller dog now.i know its my choice ultimately im leaning towards a sheltie i think.i like the sound of their gentle nature and they look beautiful too !! thanks for all your comments.

• Like 1

My prejudice is more to the Shetland Sheepdog having owned one ages ago.  Only a very few of them in Australia then, and it was the time when Brit breeders were on a roll exporting a lot of sub-standard dogs to Australia.  Our Skipper was one of those, only one testicle and over nervy even for a Sheltie.  So the Australian importer/breeder glad to find a home for him, we were glad to take on a fairly soft little dog that would fit in with other pets, no aggression or attitude.

I think a Keeshond would take a lot more patience, they have a different focus on what is important.   Our current dog is part-spitz, and very spitz in attitude and temperament.  Chalk and cheese compared with pure Shelties.  (His other half is probably Shetland Sheepdog though, so yes he is at times very conflicted about himself - that's Rheneas, my little avatar boy to the left: 16 with health issues, but hanging in like a little gem). 

I have met a lot of really nice Keeshonds - if the big coat scares you have you thought about a Finnish Lapphund - very similar but with less coat - yes I have one :)

If you are keen on a Sheltie make sure that you research breeders for one who breeds calm dogs - some Shelties can be very highly strung !

Both breeds can be vocal and require a fair amount of grooming.

Good luck :)

• Like 1

thanks for all your posts,the big coat on keeshonds does scare me a little lol but after reading,looking,thinking im leaning towards a shetland sheepdog.i love the blue merles but a lot of breeders are telling me they dont breed merles anymore and when i asked why i dont get any reply!! straying from the topic a bit but does anyone know if theres a problem of sorts with that colour ? as for the whippet i had i dont want to revisit that but he is in a fantastic home now and happy.lapphunds ive never really looked at before.

Edited by klw

No replies.  If you go to the 'Breeders Community" section and just enter 'merle' in the search button it brings up some older threads on the subject.  Probably the answers you need would be there.  A lot of dirty work at the crossroads has been/is involved, no wonder some 'breeders' say umm and look at their feet.

Glad you opted Shetland Sheepdog though.  People have mentioned the spitz and crosses tendency to bark.  Yes to that, and so incessant with some it creates neighbour problems. etc.

• Like 1

In various breeds colours just dont appear in every litter unless you have that in your lines.
The main colour in Shelties is sables & that is what the greater majority breed ,the you can get tris,bi coloured & Blue Merles .
If your wanting a Blue merle you will just have to be prepared to wait longer .

Some of the older breeders still have strong Merles in there lines others will have decided to stick to there sables .
In my breed we have a main colour plus 3 more acceptable colours BUT all colours do not appear in a litter ,you have to select your lines to be able to produce the colours & we do not breed too of the colours.