Ankc breed rego trends over time

Two Best Dogs!

GSD were banned from import for a while, and I think they may have been banned entirely in WA where I was. That is relying on dodgy memory though. So when that was lifted people went for them as something special. But  I am old enough to remember lots of spikes in breed numbers. Irish Setters were hugely popular at one point. Even Afghans were trendy for a few years. Welfare disaster I expect with that coat when the novelty wore off and some stopped getting them clipped or groomed.

Edited by Diva

In October 1928 the Federal Government of Australia placed an importation ban on the breed which was enforced in 1929. During the course of the import ban, which was to stretch for another 43 years, a number of imports were smuggled into the country.

Unfortunately the import ban was not lifted until 1972 with some restrictions remaining until 1976. With the lifting of the import ban the breed enjoyed a surge in popularity with record numbers of German Shepherd Dogs being shown at National shows during the 1980’s. The popularity of the breed peaked during the 1990’s and the German Shepherd Dog became the most popular breed in Australia in terms of registrations of puppies.

If you read through the various aspects of this article this is how WA was impacted
http://gsdawa.org/about-gsda-of-wa

Edited by Dogsfevr
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Thistle the dog said:

Ah, so if I had the missing years that might be showing a complete absence of them and this is the following spike?

i wonder if ankc would be willing to share pre 1986 data. If they have it 

no, they were still being bred but the breeders were up against it with a small gene pool

5 hours ago, t a i l s. said:

Does this include import registrations as well? I can't find that information anywhere.

i am not sure, i made it from what was freely available on the website

http://ankc.org.au/AboutUs/?id=1206

I think so. Being recently some breeds have gone from 0 to 1, so i assume the liklihood of being an import is higher than a litter of one from imported parent?

I added some new things, when you hover it will show that breeds per cent of the total number of dogs for that year and whatever you have selected (e.g group 5, or only spaniels etc). And what ranking they are. ESS were rank 36 in the year Thyme was born!

• Like 1