New Japanese Spitz - working full time

Nara

Hi All,

Apologies if I have posted in the wrong place.

I recently got a Japanese Spitz, her name is Nara and she is almost 9 weeks old. It took me 7 months to get her because I suffer from serious anxiety and didn't know if I was making the right decision. Anyway, I now have her and she is so cute but I go through waves of thinking I have made the biggest mistake of my life because I am anxious about how she will be when I go back to work. I have currently taken 2 weeks off work to spend time with her, and since her first day she slept throughout the night no problems (we only had to wake her up once to go outside), by day 2 she was sleeping in her pen completely fine for 3-3.5 hours at a time (9am-12pm, 1pm-4pm, 4:30-6) and then from 6pm we let her out in the house to spend time with us so she can get used to the schedule when we finally do go back to work. She only poos outside and generally only pees outside too, we have only had a few pee accidents but now we are used to her schedule she has been pretty good at toilet training.

When I go back to work she will be alone between 7hrs-10hrs depending on the day. If she is already sleeping in her crate 3-3.5hrs at a time, and completely well throughout the night, I am hoping she will be okay when we go to work for this long. Does anyone else have a JS and work full time and could you let me know how your spitz gets on when you're at work? Do you leave her in a pen (can she jump over when she gets older?), do you leave her in a room in your house? etc. 

We will spend an hour in the morning with her before work and then all evening when we get back and take her on long walks and all throughout the weekend. I am not comfortable getting a dog walker as I do not want to give someone access to my house throughout the day and I have no family that lives nearby that can help, and as I am new to the area, I don't have any neighbours who I trust to help.

Any info to ease my anxiety would be much appreciated. Thanks!

can she stay outside at all? Do you have a secure garden with shelter? just thinking it might be more exciting than locked in a pen for 10 hours a day.

Shame you are not in Sydney as i walk dogs.

The biggest issue is working the feed schedule around your schedule as it still needs its 3 meals its doable & the fact at some point the pup will need to toilet so if going to be solely inside needs to understand its safe to toilet inside ,you can't expect pup to hang on .
The pen needs to be safe ,if there is any chance it can try & jump out then you need to reassess the height .
This stage will be one of the hardest but they grow up quickly ,you just need to make sure its not sitting inside in silence .
Ideally we tell our new owners not to take time off work as its often harder for the pup to adapt to someone home & then gone ,its easier to start with what is normal .
Make sure you leave the TV on & if pup is going to be in a pen somewhere that doesn't get too hot or too cold ,has safe toys to play with & more than enough space for such a long period that includes a toilet option,safe water bowl

1 hour ago, Dogsfevr said:

The biggest issue is working the feed schedule around your schedule as it still needs its 3 meals its doable & the fact at some point the pup will need to toilet so if going to be solely inside needs to understand its safe to toilet inside ,you can't expect pup to hang on .
The pen needs to be safe ,if there is any chance it can try & jump out then you need to reassess the height .
This stage will be one of the hardest but they grow up quickly ,you just need to make sure its not sitting inside in silence .
Ideally we tell our new owners not to take time off work as its often harder for the pup to adapt to someone home & then gone ,its easier to start with what is normal .
Make sure you leave the TV on & if pup is going to be in a pen somewhere that doesn't get too hot or too cold ,has safe toys to play with & more than enough space for such a long period that includes a toilet option,safe water bowl

Thanks for the response.

Just to add, the timings are as follows: 10hrs Monday and Friday, 7-8hrs Tuesday,Wednesday and Thursday. I am going to try and work from home on the Friday and my husband will try and reschedule his monday and work a sunday instead so that the long days aren't too bad, but he will only be able to do this while she is a puppy. I was thinking of leaving her in the bathroom with a radio and she how she gets on. She has quite a large pen and she isnt able to go over it at the moment (80cm high), but I imagine when she gets bigger she most probably will. Should I get her used to being left in the pen or in the bathroom from now?

At the moment I am feeding her 3x a day on the schedule that we would be able to do when we go back to work - 8am, 5pm, 9pm and she seems to be fine. She poos in the morning and evening and sometimes in the afternoon.

Interesting you say that I shouldn't have taken time off right now, everyone else was telling me the opposite, it does make sense to leave her alone now so she gets used to it.

Thank you for your help!!

10 hours ago, juice said:

can she stay outside at all? Do you have a secure garden with shelter? just thinking it might be more exciting than locked in a pen for 10 hours a day.

Shame you are not in Sydney as i walk dogs.

I have a garden and an out house but we get foxes in our area and foxes eat puppies so I definitely do not want to be doing that. Please see the comment above for some more information.

Also, although I am not comfortable with it, I have started to look at dog walkers just in case it's too much for her, especially if we can't sort out the 10hour days, I think 7-8hrs might be manageable. 

Depends on your bathroom but there often cold rooms.

If pup is use to being in the pen then stick with ,yes as it gets older things will change but as you say there are foxes then that will be a long term issue anyway whether dog is a pup or adult so long term you need to decide what the home routine is going to be so pup gets into a routine ..

What you need to be doing before going to work is teaching pup to cope home alone ,you can’t be fussing it during the day as the pup has gone from littermates to new home with company then once older suddenly everyone gone .

Whilst you pup has a toilet routine things change with age and I would not expect a pup to hang on so it needs to have a spot where it’s okay to toilet inside .

So how often during the day do you go out and leave pup 

17 minutes ago, Dogsfevr said:

Depends on your bathroom but there often cold rooms.

If pup is use to being in the pen then stick with ,yes as it gets older things will change but as you say there are foxes then that will be a long term issue anyway whether dog is a pup or adult so long term you need to decide what the home routine is going to be so pup gets into a routine ..

What you need to be doing before going to work is teaching pup to cope home alone ,you can’t be fussing it during the day as the pup has gone from littermates to new home with company then once older suddenly everyone gone .

Whilst you pup has a toilet routine things change with age and I would not expect a pup to hang on so it needs to have a spot where it’s okay to toilet inside .

So how often during the day do you go out and leave pup 

Okay I will stick with pen and then if she starts escaping as she gets older, I will move her to the bathroom. My bathroom is warm (my fav place in the winter haha) as my heating pipes run under it and winter is fast approaching in London and lasts forever so I imagine it will be a warm space should she need to be left in there.

While I have been home she gets woken up at 7, taken outside for potty and then fed, then play with her until 9, then she is in the crate 9am-12pm, 1pm-4pm, 4:30-6, and taken out inbetween for potty. I push the crate time as much as I can if I see can handle it (most she has done is 3.5hrs so far), however, I have been working on the dining table nearby. Today I decided to leave her in her crate and go upstairs, she has been in there so far 9-12 and whimpered a couple times but otherwise has been sleeping. I have a camera on her and when I could hear her whimpering I spoke on the camera and she wondered where the voice came from and then settled. I have been leaving her training pads but she barely uses them. I just bought her this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Indoor-Toilet-Grass-Restroom-Training/dp/B00ZFLMS5O/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_199_img_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=7770GW10H4CZR66D8W50 hopefully it will help her feel comfortable peeing inside. 

Thank you by the way. It is nice to be offered advice/help trying to solve the issue as opposed to be attacked and judged straight away.

• Like 1

If you set up the pen you can attach it to the crate So pup has the crate as the bed it’s use to plus the pen area to play,stretch legs,change the toys each day so it’s a new adventure each day .

If your camera savvy then set it up so you can watch whilst at work 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, juice said:

I still think leaving any dog in a bathroom for 10 hours a day is a crap life . Don’t care if you think it’s attacking you .

Clearly you didn't read the information above where I said I would be changing my days so she wouldn't have to be alone for 10 hours and trying to get a dog walker, obviously your inability to read before commenting says a lot about you, but thanks for your input :) 

Hi, and welcome :) 

It is hard on pups/dogs when folks work long hours - they need to be 'in solitary' for the greater part of every 24 hr period :( ..and it can mean that puppies miss out on  experiencing much of life ... the wind, shadows , different scents during the hours of daylight ..little sounds in the grass ... the chance to run/dig ..hunt crickets in the hedges ..all that sort of thing ;) 
developing senses and muscles do best with much sensory input, obviously  ....

Hopefully you will eventually get a roofed and fox proof  outdoor area for her ...  I have no doubt your Urban foxes are bold, and hungry!!

Please have a read of this thread ..all sorts of conversations on new pups & peoples' routines ...

CLICK HERE

3 minutes ago, persephone said:

Hi, and welcome :) 

It is hard on pups/dogs when folks work long hours - they need to be 'in solitary' for the greater part of every 24 hr period :( ..and it can mean that puppies miss out on  experiencing much of life ... the wind, shadows , different scents during the hours of daylight ..little sounds in the grass ... the chance to run/dig ..hunt crickets in the hedges ..all that sort of thing ;) 
developing senses and muscles do best with much sensory input, obviously  ....

Hopefully you will eventually get a roofed and fox proof  outdoor area for her ...  I have no doubt your Urban foxes are bold, and hungry!!

Please have a read of this thread ..all sorts of conversations on new pups & peoples' routines ...

CLICK HERE

Hi! Thank you for your message, I hadn't even thought about an outdoor area that is fox proof. Good idea. I will defo have a look into it!

Completely agree with you. The thing is, my job means I often work from home but it is sporadic and depends on when I have external meetings for work, so I don't want to fully rely on it. I am going to try and make sure the 10hour days do not happen by switching things around/working from home. The other 7-8hr days I think I will hire a dogwalker while she is a puppy and see how she gets on. Today she stayed in her pen for 4 hours while I was upstairs and slept the whole time. I just took her out and played with her and have now put her back in the pen so I can continue working. No noise from her, she is sleeping!

Thanks for sending the thread. I will look at it now :) 

• Like 1

The biggest thing about s planning for the winter irrespective,many there are some good quality doggy daycares that your pup can spend a day at,whilst I’m not the biggest fan of many a well run one may be a wonderful tool for a winter pup in London 

You said you would be putting her in the bathroom when she is big enough to jump out of the pen, even 7 to 8 hours locked in a room with nothing to see is pretty crap, a dog walker will give it relief for what an hour tops. Why does she have to be locked in a bathroom?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nara said:

No noise from her, she is sleeping!

:) ..and while she is a teeny baby , she will ...like all babies . Sleep for a few hrs ..explore/eliminate/eat .....sleep ...  and repeat   

Not sure what it's like in London ..but  here , until fully vaccinated,  pups should not go walking out & about  for fear of contracting  disease .... Now, of course, you can take her  wherever you want in a  carrier , or sling, or pushchair , so she can get some experience of the outside world :) 

• Like 1

You can always attach a roof to the pen. Use shadecloth and plastic zip ties. I'm glad you are going to look into a safe outdoor option for her. I'm not a fan of the bathroom idea. At the very least make something in a room near a window so pup can see various things.

• Like 1

A couple of extra thoughts.   I think you said you've moved into a new area.   Have you sourced a good vet yet.    One of the first things I do with a new pup is take them in for a meet the vet/well puppy visit ,.. especially when they're at that totally cute and adorable stage.  Well worth the consult fee for the puppy (and you) to have a wonderful happy experience.  The vet and particularly the vet staff may well have some good suggestions about reliable dog walkers/feeders/sitters.  Also might be worth checking if there are force free dog training clubs in the area .. they may also be a good source of information about good, reliable dog walking service.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Rascalmyshadow said:

If you teach her to use an indoor toilet why not give her run of the house once she’s 100% reliably toilet trained.

No dog should spend more than a couple of hours a day locked in a room or pen.

This is what I have been thinking.  Shutting a dog in a pen or a small room for up to 10 hours is verging on cruelty, in my opinion.