What do I do now

My neighbor is moving  they are an elderly couple and have 2 jack Russell which they recused 2 years back, The dog has not been socialized and are aggressive to other dogs  and are afraid of people untill they know you then they are love monsters, so having not wanting them to go to a shelter I took them in  But I am overwhelmed not only with cost but with how to move forward, some of there behaviors may be easy fixes I have no idea   I will list what concerns me below ,

They Pull when walking, Like bouncy rabbits..

They are aggressive towards any dogs when out on a walk

They get jealous of each other  always trying to get closer to me

There 2 1/2 years old  non desexed

They Bark at people  Dogs  and at night ( Never Bite)

I would like to find a class to train them  but am afraid how they will behave there ..

Thanks

Mark

14 hours ago, Powerlegs said:

You might have to contact @JRT RESCUE for advice on rehoming one.  I think that might work better for you all. 

Ow that would break my heart splitting them up , they are all they have . I hope that would be a last resort I am willing to do the work so I hope it does not come to that ,

I would still contact Jill at Jack Russell rescue , she will be able to help you with advice on what’s going on . Also people often think dogs want to be kept together when in fact they are stressed at trying to be in charge and are happier and more relaxed when they live alone , no more vying for position which makes for a calmer dog easier to train . 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, juice said:

I would still contact Jill at Jack Russell rescue , she will be able to help you with advice on what’s going on . Also people often think dogs want to be kept together when in fact they are stressed at trying to be in charge and are happier and more relaxed when they live alone , no more vying for position which makes for a calmer dog easier to train . 

I agree with Juice.   

Also I would like to pay tribute to you and your efforts to help and love these dogs.  Very heartwarming.  

Don’t be worried about taking them to classes because of their behaviour ... that is what classes are for :).  However, there are many so-called trainers out there who, in my opinion, shouldn’t be in that business.  Training dogs is NOT a “one size fits all” process, dogs are as individual as people and what works for some does not work for all and can, in fact, make matters worse.  

If you can tell DOL what town or city you are in, there are probably people who know of good trainers in your area.  

Good luck and well done for wanting to help.  

• Like 1

Thanks to all for the advice, Danny i live in western Sydney: Westmead  and Rabanne the booked in to be desexed next week I was lucky to get assistance from  The Animal Welfare Leauge with almost 50% discount on desexing

I will contact Jill after the desexing, thanks to Juice

All this help is much appreciated

Thanks

Mark

• Like 5

Might be handy to know that many Jack Russells aren't great with other dogs and often have to be rehomed as single dogs.  I've had a few and been lucky but some are better as single dogs.

Jill of JRT Rescue does an amazing job, she's a wealth of knowledge on the breed as well.  Don't hesitate to reach out, I was out there about 3 weeks ago for a visit.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Have to agree with some of the comments about not all getting on well together .
We board alot of JR half just love there other mate the other half its a constant daily challenge to keep the household sane & safe .
If you do decide to rehome one its better to do it sooner than later .2.5 is not old & plenty of time to change the behaviour but waiting a year can add new challenges to the equation & don't feel sorry for the dogs or feel you have let one down if rehoming is the end result because thinking about the long term & happiness of the dogs is more important .
Classes are a most & like mentioned so many cowboy trainers out there .It sounds like contacting the JR rescue mentioned could very well be a good start for the right trainer & a great sounding base to help you