Home made dog food

kmit

Hi all,

Our little cavvie Oscar has been intermittently going off his food, sometimes vomiting, and our vet has suggested trying a home-made food diet for a while. We are living in Malaysia at the moment, so I have no idea whether this is what an Australian vet would recommend, but I'm willing to give it a try. I have been giving him a mixture of dry food and a bit of chicken/rice/veggie mix that he really likes.

So, I'd love some pointers to how to make my own balanced dog food, using ingredients that I can readily obtain here in Malaysia. In terms of meat I can get every part of chickens, lots of fish, but not a great selection of red meat, and no bones like you would get at a butcher. I can get a few frozen things like lamb shanks, but not much. I'm concerned to make sure that whatever I make has the right balance of vitamins and minerals, and I'd rather give him dry food than an unbalanced home made diet.

I have been feeding mostly a grain-free commercial dry food plus a small amount of home-made mixture, consisting of chicken breast, brown rice, pumpkin, sweet potato, carrot and green beans. I use a variety of commercial treats, but not every day and none in large quantities.

The vet didn’t mention fat levels or anything in particular to avoid, but just concerned that Oscar may have developed an allergy to something in the food or treats. I can definitely cut out the commercial treats, but it’s his everyday diet that I’m concerned about.

What you need to do is look at every thing you feed ,a high amount of fat including the treats can make a dog vomit so if there saying allergy you need to look at foods and start basic .

So the brand of food ,what the meat is in that brand ,the fat / protein levels then factoring in the other added foods and treats .

Many dogs can be allergic to chicken ,it could be the treats 

Chicken bones are fine...necks if Oscar is little, but watch at first to make sure he doesn't choke. If he swallow them whole and it looks like there is a choking danger, get out the meat cleaver. You don't need to worry about red meat bones to ensure minerals are adequate. Chicken works fine. 

Throughout history dogs have survived on scraps and refuse.  They really are versatile eaters.  My guess is you are fine with what you are feeding, though a few bones won't hurt. 

Guest crazydoglady99

Can you get your hands on the book "Canine Nutrigenomics" by Dr Jean Dodds. 

She's a vet hematologist, who specializes is food sensitivities. 

It's a life changer!

22 hours ago, crazydoglady99 said:

Can you get your hands on the book "Canine Nutrigenomics" by Dr Jean Dodds. 

She's a vet hematologist, who specializes is food sensitivities. 

It's a life changer!

There is some disagreement about the above book.  See

http://skeptvet.com/Blog/2015/06/canine-nutrigenomics-by-dr-jean-dodds-science-as-windowdressing/

Edited by sandgrubber

Guest crazydoglady99

Seriously? @sandgrubber Why must you pick apart every comment I make??

The OP asked a question, I gave an answer. If you want to bag out every Dr of or Vet that DOES have the authority to give nutritional advice, please leave me out of it.

Edited by crazydoglady99

9 hours ago, crazydoglady99 said:

Seriously? @sandgrubber Why must you pick apart every comment I make??

The OP asked a question, I gave an answer. If you want to bag out every Dr of or Vet that DOES have the authority to give nutritional advice, please leave me out of it.

All I did was offer an alternative viewpoint...by a respected vet who reads extensively and critically.  The OP seemed to be looking for mainstream veterinary advice.  This book is far from mainstream