HELP! Menacing / Dangerous Dog

Yes they have to have a concrete base and a solid roof and muzzled when out of enclosure , that means in your yard too . We have a DD at the end of our street . Steve would be your best bet , but management is key , you can”t cure this dog , it’s managing it .

Edited by juice
  • Like 1

Woops yes. Pen be $300, time and concrete. Not $3000 tho. Save the $3000 for Steve. 

Theres also I think. Some kind of support advice company for those with declared dogs that can help you with the set up between now and talking to Steve? Name escapes me. I think they helped that dog who nipped an old man. 

And the advice perse posted on other page. Stop taking this dog out while working on the paperwork and management. There are backyard enrichment you can do. If he has another incident before Steve can help you it won’t be good for him. 

Edited by Thistle the dog
  • Like 4

On 9/8/2018 at 10:17 AM, Thistle the dog said:

I've noticed many places sell enclosures that meet most requirements (check for any variation by your council. This meets VIC requirements, don't know about NSW). It is only $300 + the time it takes to set up. They're basically big bedrooms. If you've ever set up a camera to monitor your dogs, they tend to sleep while everyone is away. Even the active ones (i have two very active dogs, they still sleep while waiting for me to get home).

It would also make a good place to put him when your kids have friends over or strange men visit.

Muzzles you can get at any old pet store - you want a plastic on like a baskerville for walks, not a nylon one. Baskervilles they can still drink, take treats and if coordinated enough - fetch a ball.

The declaration collars can be bought online as can the warning signs.

These are all much cheaper than the fines you would get for not complying while you appeal. Appealing takes time.

I assume the intent to declare has an effective date? 

We have complied with everything but the enclosure (you are given 3 months to get one) and yes it must be on a concrete slab and enclosure must be secured to the slab.

There is no dates on the intent to declare him i think that might be so people have the 7 day period to appeal it? The only date on it is the incident date.

We have a solicitor on board now to help us with the appeal letter to have it downgraded to menacing dog declaration.

Here’s some guidance on muzzle training your dog. There’s a few different ways to go about it but this will become one of your best management tools to ensure everybody’s safety and help prevent any more incidents

https://muzzleupproject.com/muzzle-training/

Its a good skill to have. I have to leave my dog at the vet next week for X-rays and she will be wearing a muzzle the whole time. It doesn’t stop her from drinking or even being fed suitably long treats. It’s to keep everyone else safe. 

remember your best management is to keep him out of situations where he might lunge at someone. So still have him kept in his pen when children or guests are over. He’s big and can still count against him if he knocks them over. He shouldn’t be put into situations where you think he might react without the guidance and physical presence of a trainer eg Steve. 

Think of it as a quiet hibernation period until the professionals can get in and help you. 

Council recognised or not, he has potential to do injury and will have to be handled as such. 

This does not mean he cannot still play fetch in the yard with you or go on walks. Just that you must ensure he is contained and under control around his triggers.

• Like 4

I know you are trying to do the right thing but get that enclosure NOW

Children need to be protected, it appears you are avoiding what is in front of you and hoping the dog may change in the short-term, well that's not going to happen unless you enclose the dog while children are around, a muzzle won't cut the mustard.

Honestly you have to 'man up' and get that enclosure and work with your council (who have done the correct thing)

• Like 9

Make the run , you can put a clam shell in full of water and one with sand for digging , a nice bed and shelter , toys , bones etc . It takes a second for a dog to snap and take a child’s face off , you have already seen the signs , he won’t miraculously change now , so you need to protect those that can’t protect themselves . 

• Like 4

Guest crazydoglady99

I feel a bit confused by this thread.. I mean, I understand there has been 2 incidents with your dog  and the council have declared him a dangerous or menacing dog.

But I dont understand what you're stuck on?

Is it that you don't think your dog is dangerous?

Is it that you don't know how to manage (proactively) the council declaration?

Do you not want to muzzle or confine him? 

I gather the childs' parents are not wishing to escalate it further?

The council haven't seized your dog- have they?

..and I do hope you have made an appointment with K9 pro ...and have taken advice from them by phone . 

Steve lays out the most efficient and useful steps to take in that blog I quoted . 

he also stresses that arguments should not be started with council or rangers  ... 

Building a nice solid enclosure ..dog specific  ensures your dog's safety  in all sorts of situations - I wouldn't hesitate  ...provide shade/shelter/environmental enrichment /tough toys  :) Dog has his OWN space ..where he has access to his favourite toys and treats ...he is safe, children are safe ..there can be no incidents/accidents - and he enjoys time indoors/walking/running whatever with you as usual .
One of my dogs wears a muzzle  when we are away from home ( we live in the bush) - as he will pick up all sorts of rubbish/rotten things . Muzzles aren't a problem :) 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, syntaxtc said:

We have a solicitor on board now to help us with the appeal letter

How does a solicitor assess and define a dog's behaviour so as to put forward evidence and get a declaration changed? 
Question - as I have NO idea how this stuff works ...

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

My dog is agressive towards adult strangers so i know where you are coming from, it is really hard. I luckily am blessed and she loves every kid she has ever met (yes i am super careful with her around children). My girl is 5 months old and 21.6kg already so going to be a big dog. Your dog is most probably protecting your children, some dogs think of our kids like their own puppies and have strong protective instincts. I would suggest just making sure your dog isnt around kids at all besides yours. And a secure yard should be enough to hold a dog in if it is classed as dangerous, i had an american staffy who was classed as a dangerous dog and she lives happily in my backyard until she was 15.

• Haha 1

On 12/18/2018 at 11:47 AM, Digbysmum said:

My dog is agressive towards adult strangers so i know where you are coming from, it is really hard. I luckily am blessed and she loves every kid she has ever met (yes i am super careful with her around children). My girl is 5 months old and 21.6kg already so going to be a big dog. Your dog is most probably protecting your children, some dogs think of our kids like their own puppies and have strong protective instincts. I would suggest just making sure your dog isnt around kids at all besides yours. And a secure yard should be enough to hold a dog in if it is classed as dangerous, i had an american staffy who was classed as a dangerous dog and she lives happily in my backyard until she was 15.

5 months and human aggressive thats a big concern .
Protection & aggression is not the same  nor an excuse for such dangerous behaviour

• Like 2

On 13/09/2018 at 11:19 AM, persephone said:

How does a solicitor assess and define a dog's behaviour so as to put forward evidence and get a declaration changed? 
Question - as I have NO idea how this stuff works ...

They’d be there just as more of a council behaviourist, right? :p

I’m glad you’ve got representation and wish you the best in bringing about a positive resolution. 

As you are represented, I’ll offer only the website notesfromadogwalker 

as an interesting source of reading re management of reactive dogs in America. My personal opinion is that it can make for a good read as far as creating a sound and happy environment for dogs who aren’t able to leave their yards often. There are some anecdotes which illustrate the ways in which dogs can live well with a bit of adjustment on behalf of their owners. 

Whether it’s applicable, I don’t know. 

All the best. 

• 1 year later...

Couple of years old probably resolved by now , but my take on this after owning rotties , sheperds  and other big dogs ,is simple this owner bought a breed that are big bold and can be agrresive and simply just cannot control it  , how it acts in the house proves this put simplyy they just shoulld,nt own this  sort of dog 

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
On 15/12/2020 at 8:59 PM, coneye said:

Couple of years old probably resolved by now , but my take on this after owning rotties , sheperds  and other big dogs ,is simple this owner bought a breed that are big bold and can be agrresive and simply just cannot control it  , how it acts in the house proves this put simplyy they just shoulld,nt own this  sort of dog 

I was wondering the same thing... the most obvious thing for me was no mention of training or setting structure, boundaries, enrichment etc...

• Like 1