A Death in the Family

14Ade

Hi all,

Recently my Mother-in-law (Anne) passed away.  She had 2 small dogs which in the past I have temporarily looked after.  I had told Anne I would have them if a time ever came.  So now I have 2 very adorable 10 year old dogs.  Because Anne had been admitted to hospital I had already collected the dogs before her passing.  I'm thinking I'd like to take them to Anne's home to sense she has gone or should I just create a new life for them in my home?

Thanks for any suggestions,

Adrian.

That's very sad :(  But so lovely they had somewhere to go. 

It's hard to guess what animals are thinking but I'd worry they would get all excited. Instead of taking them home, could you bring a few things back to your home? Blankets (maybe some of Anne's), beds, bowls, leads, all their stuff if you haven't already? 

Now I'm going to sound like a space cadet but talk to them about Anne and her passing. :heart: 

• Like 9

The latter and maybe just take a few blankets and things from Anne’s home.  However, if you already have all their bedding and toys, I wouldn’t even do that.  They are with someone they know and trust so I would not be upsetting that.  

Deepest sympathies for Anne’s passing :cry: :cry:.  It must have been a great comfort to her knowing her dogs would be safe.  

• Like 4

Sympathies over your friends passing. Her spirit will be at peace knowing that her dogs are with someone they know and trust and who will love and cherish them. I feel that if the pair appear settled with you ( and they have been with you before) then the best thing to do is to let things be. agree with what Powerlegs has written.

• Like 1

yes I had a dog that his owner couldn't keep him,  although in his case it was because he couldn't find  a pet friendly rental. every time he came to visit, his dog cried for days after. so no, don't take them back home but  stuff they remember from home should be nice for them

• Sad 1

I'm sitting on the fence as I dont know what I'd do.

I dont know how my rescue dog came to be parted from her human ...maybe he died or maybe she ran off to say hello to someone & became  lost,

but I  am sure she looked for him for 2 years.

When walking she'd get incredibly excited when she saw an old man with a beard... then seemed sad for the following 2 days.

Hugs to you Adrian for being a sensitive step-carer.

• Like 1