What to feed a Puppy (& other questions)

YOLO

We'll soon be bringing a LabraKelp pup into our home.  She will be around 8 weeks.

It's been a long time since we had a puppy, so any hints are welcome. 
We have (on vet advice) always fed a blend of Raw and good quality kibble.   So I'm thinking something like Chicken Mince?  Combined with Puppy Kibble.

Fortified Rice Milk for extra protein and Calcium.
Puppy chews for teething

Should we be feeding 3 times a day at this age, or more?

I have some worming chews for "Puppies and Small dogs."  Can we start her on those straight away?

Same question for flea treatment.

Edited by Big D

The breeder should give you a list fo what the pup is used to eating. Keep her on that for a few days as she adjusts to the move and then alter her food if you wish. Keep in mind some breeders will say you void any contract if you feed her different to what the breeder says. Pup should also be on a worming schedule and you continue on from that. As long as the worming chews cover the weight of the pup then it should be fine. Again I wouldn't worm her, even if due, for the first few days. Yes feed her at least 3 times a day. No need for milk and extra calcium in her diet.

My greyhound pups are fed a puppy dry food until they are around 12 weeks of age and then I switch to an adult food. By 8 weeks they are happy to eat chicken wings and necks and minced whole carcasses. Chews for my greys are split marrow bones, turkey necks and similar.

• Like 1

Yep if you have brought from a good breeder who health test there dogs they will be your go to person for advice.
They should be supplying you with a diet chart but more importantly should send you the diet chart before pup comes home so you have the food ready.
Any other questions again your breeder will be able to assist you & love doing so .
Your breeder will give you the next worming date to go by & then follow the schedule.Ask them what brand they use & some breeds can react to some brands hence why your breeder can save you alot of grief in the asking department

• Like 1

Agree with the above with some reservations.  Some people, including breeders, have extreme ideas about diet.  You do want to start the pup on food it is used to. But if after doing some reading, talking to your vet, and seeing what options are available locally, and considering your own lifestyle, you can change the diet.  I used to breed labs.  I've seen them thrive on a wide variety of diets... All raw, to all dry kibble. 

• 2 weeks later...

I would dump the rice milk if I were you. Dogs don't fully digest grain anyway it just bulks up the stools. Stool bulking, if needed, is better done with pumpkin or other veges. Just my opinion, the rice milk is not poisonous or anything LOL!
Male sure that the chicken mince is the type with minced bone included - so not human quality chicken mince. I would feed an 8wk 3 times a day and taper down to twice a day at about 12 weeks.

The worming chews for puppies and small dogs will probably be wasted as she is more likely past the maximum weight for them already, but check the weight instructions on the package. 
Your breeder should have given you information about when to worm her again - if they didn't, then worm her now, then again at 10 weeks, again one month later then every three months afterwards.

If the breeder hasn't given you all that diet, worming and care info then do make sure that your vet gives her a THOROUGH health check when you take her for her next vacc in a few weeks.

Enjoy your puppy! We expect photos to squeal over! :laugh:

• Like 1

First thing we did was have her to the Vet.
She has all the right bits in the right places, and is all up to day with her shots and worming.

The Rice Milk is basically a gentle way of boosting Calcium and Protein, as we chose one that is the most fortified.  Unfortunately it is human quality Chicken mince.
At what age could we start her on actual bones?

Seven (2).jpg

:) Glad the vet visit went well . She 's a pretty colour , too.

if she has teeth , she can have bones .... and you can drink the rice water sorry , "milk" 

chicken wings ..whole ..either semi frozen ..or bashed a bit with a mallet...actually I use both methods . Start with frozen, so pup gets used to going slowly . .  MUCH more appropriate way for a carnivore to get their calcium  :)

She will also LOVE recreational/meaty  bones ..BIG ones ..like beef brisket  or ribs , or turkey necks ..the gnawing with those side teeth is what cleans teeth and helps with good muscle strength/formation :) ..one or two crunches do nothing for a dog's physique /dental health ;) 

Here are links to some old threads on pups & feeding /giving bones :) Enjoy! 

CLICK HERE

CLICK HERE

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldnt be giving her anything that will boost the calcium (fortified rice milk) in her diet further than it already is. You have to be so careful in getting the calcium/phosphorous levels right in large breed pups, an overdose or imbalance of these can create bone/growth problems.

Raw meaty bones are the best chews/teeth cleaners.

I feed a mix of kibble/raw/cooked, pretty much a huge variety of different foods.

The dry food i feed is stay loyal (small breed formula), they do a large breed puppy (are labs considered large or medium?), with calcium 1.1-1.3%, phosphorous 0.7-0.9% 

https://stayloyal.com.au/large-breed-puppy-grain-free-dog-food.html

• Like 1

Just FYI, long story short, she's a farm dog.  Mum's pure Lab, Dad half Lab half Kelpie.  They THOUGHT they'd kept Mum in whilst on heat, but obviously not.  Interesting mix in the puppies.  We chose one who leans more towards the Kelpie side. 
So her diet at home was mostly rabbit (and Mum.)  Bit hard to replicate so we went with Chicken.