Dog doesnt look me in the eye

Carita

This is a physical thing , not behavioral. 

A lovely Golden Retriever often walks past my  house & if I see her in time, I'll take a treat out for her.

She doesnt look directly at the treat nor me but her eyes are directed to the left.

Eventually I mentioned this to her mum & she said she thought she was cross eyed  but thats not so as both eyes look to the left.

One day she was walking towards me but her eyes seem to be looking across the road

I couldnt miss her yesterday as she was sitting pretty at my front gate, refusing to budge until her treat appeared.

Her mum eventually pulled her away only to have her slip her collar & return to my gate.

• Sad 1

Actually it will be behavioural and the more you expect the dog to look the more it won’t.

Many dogs don’t want to make eye contact no big deal .

Chances are the dog is soft and not that confident or in some cases people get pushy around the face and the dog is saying move off ..

Lucky nothing happen too the dog 

My pei will stare me dead in the face and hold my stare while my stafford hates to look directly at me - she finds it uncomfortable and confrontational to make eye contact with humans or other dogs. Both dogs have always been like that. I don't force or try to change either behaviour because nothing will be achieved by that for the dog.

• Like 1

As the owner has already noticed this and thinks the dog might be cross eyed, it would appear to be something not quite right with the dog’s eyes.  Whether it is something that could or should be fixed, I haven’t a clue.  Perhaps you could talk to a local vet??

A fair while ago, I knew a lady who had one eye that “wandered” and I would find myself turning my head to see what she was looking at  :confused:   

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dame Danny's Darling said:

A fair while ago, I knew a lady who had one eye that “wandered” and I would find myself turning my head to see what she was looking at  :confused:   

I kept looking across the road to see what Evie was looking at.

I thought she was looking to the left of my hand of treats but my close up vision isnt good enough to be certain.

It's one for her mum to discuss with the vet.