Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Animal House

Beware - Poisoned bait found in Lilyfield park sydney

1 post in this topic

 

News Story

 

FB original post

 

 

A Sydney woman has issued a warning to pet owners after her dog was poisoned by rat bait hidden inside meat at a popular inner-west dog-walking spot.

In a post to her Facebook page, Rozelle resident Lily Kenny said she was walking her dog Lola at a grassed reserve on the Bay Run at Lilyfield on Monday when the greyhound ingested a large amount of rat poison that had been "purposely planted in a local oval by some horrible person".

 
"It breaks my heart that people can be this horrible and heartless," she wrote in the post which has since received thousands of comments.

"I really hope no other dogs were affected by this, but please be cautious guys!"

Ms Kenny told the ABC she regularly walked Lola at the grassed reserve between Perry Lane and Church Street in Rozelle and had done twice on Monday.

During their afternoon walk she noticed Lola eat what appeared to be a piece of cooked mince with a green pellet inside.

She feared the four-year-old rescue dog had ingested more on their morning walk.

"I was terrified. I completely freaked out and made sure I got to the vet as quickly as I could," she said.

The vet induced vomiting and told her it was likely Lola would recover completely but it had been a close call.

"She had so much in her body the vet asked me if she had gotten into a packet of them," Ms Kenny said.

 

She later returned to the park and found another five balls of mince filled with pellets.

"I just can't believe someone would do such a thing," she said.

"If I hadn't noticed that small pellet she could have died.

"I am just completely shocked that this could happen in such a dog-friendly area.

"She is my everything and I honestly don't know what I would do if anything happened to her."

 

Ms Kenny said she contacted the Inner West Council and was told the matter would be investigated and the park searched to ensure there were no more baits.

The Inner West Council was contacted for comment.

She also planned to place posters on the Bay Run warning other dog owners to beware.

 

Haley Weston, a vet nurse at a Sydney after-hours veterinary emergency service, said owners who suspect their pets have been poisoned should bring the animal in for treatment within 30 minutes, if possible.

"Rat bait is an anti-coagulant which means it prevents the blood from clotting so they can start bleeding internally," she said.

"Rat poison starts affecting the animal by breaking down their organs.

"The longer it's in their system, the worse the effects on their body."

She said dogs were often treated with Vitamin K, which is an effective antidote.

Ms Weston said she had not seen many cases of baiting at the Camperdown practice due to the large number of apartments in the area.

However when she worked at a vet in the western suburbs she saw it "quite a bit".

"It is mostly angry neighbours or people fed up with dog parks or dog beaches," she said.

"It's easier for someone to throw baited food over the fence of their backyard so I saw it a lot there."

41865979_10214779108964407_3017868266707091456_n.jpg

41991339_10214779106844354_7963090935556866048_n.jpg

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×