BHT & BHA in petfood - discussion

Sagittarian

Hi all.

Interested in points of view as well as any scientific knowledge on the ongoing use of these preservatives in petfood.

In an age when more companies are using natural preservatives, why would anyone resort to these? 

The companies that do admit to it (sometimes after a long and difficult road to accurate information) say it is widespread and safe. 

Would love some discussion here, regardless of your level of nutrition knowledge.

Sags

:-)

Sags I don't have an scientific knowledge pertaining to pet food - but my common sense says, pet food companies exist to make profits and as big a profit as possible for their shareholders/owners.  That means keep ingredients in pet food as cheap as possible (which is why the vast majority use cheap and nasty fillers) and  ensure it has the longest shelf-life possible.  

If it has a list of ingredients a mile long and clearly has fillers (meat meal, corn etc) I avoid it like the plague.  I feed my dogs the same way I feed myself - with fresh, real human grade food where I absolutely know what's in it.  The number of recalls in what is essentially a self-regulated industry IMO is truly scary.  In my view, anyone who thinks commercial (especially dry) dog food is healthy, and the pet food companies are open, honest and transparent with the health of your dogs at heart needs their head read. If I can't tell what's in it it without a PhD in food science then it doesn't go anywhere near my mouth, nor those of my dogs.       

Flame suit on.

• Like 1

In my understanding it's added to keep oils in food stable - especially oils like linseed oil which can be unstable and go rancid easily. 

But I agree, when there are more natural preservatives I don't know why it's used. I'm not sure I've seen it listed in food recently though, do you have any current examples sags? I imagine a combo of vegetable glycerine and vitamin e would do the same thing? The glycerine is a humectant and will keep the moisture levels fairly stable while vitamin e preserves. 

Would love to hear other opinions!

• Like 1

On 23/09/2018 at 7:22 PM, mackiemad said:

In my understanding it's added to keep oils in food stable - especially oils like linseed oil which can be unstable and go rancid easily. 

But I agree, when there are more natural preservatives I don't know why it's used. I'm not sure I've seen it listed in food recently though, do you have any current examples sags? I imagine a combo of vegetable glycerine and vitamin e would do the same thing? The glycerine is a humectant and will keep the moisture levels fairly stable while vitamin e preserves. 

Would love to hear other opinions!

What's happening is some companies are not including the information on their packaging. Advance are the latest with their new formulas. Nowhere is the word preservative used, let alone BHT & BHA, but it is in them.

Eukanbua recently changed to include BHA and propyl gallate.

Royal Canin BHA and potassium sorbate.

As we carry lots of other foods which do not contain these, but use natural preservatives, I am most interested in the viewpoint of others with an interest in petfood - even if only to feed the pet. :-)

• Like 1