Selecting a Dog Breed

zestylemon

6 hours ago, hippo said:

I don't think people were replying to you - Jessica Parker was the one saying 'most people go for GSDs, Labs, or Pitbulls if they're brave', disregarding the fact that none of these breeds would do well mostly outside, nor do they have minimal grooming needs.

That’s a bit of a blanket statement as far as GSDs and Labs go, I’ve both known and owned a few of each who would beg to differ when it comes to the great outdoors! Especially since it’s a bit hard to swim or dig (preferably in that order for maximum mud coverage ;) ) whilst inside. 

It does depend on the owner though IME, if they’re prepared to make their breed-appropriate  sized yard a fun, interesting, safe place for their dog (s), not to mention spend time out in it themselves, and just generally be dedicated owners, dogs can indeed do extremely well outside. 

Unfortunately, I think a lot of people imagine their dog can more or less be “stored” in a tiny, boring “designed with humans in mind” backyard save for a brief walk and a weekly obedience class and expect all to be well.:( 

I’d like to see more information circulating about exactly what a good dog-yard is and how to make one as dog friendly as possible. I know that years ago, gardening shows etc used to have regular segments on this...Dr Harry might pop up to tell viewers that dogs enjoy elevated view points to take in views of their ‘hood...just random things that many people don’t seem to take into account now. 

As for the grooming, Labs are extremely low maintenance, admittedly not as much as a Basenji, but still precious little “work”required. Just their daily swimming/rain chasing activities and the subsequent towel drying will keep their coats sleek, it’s actually better to not overly bathe them since that will mess up their natural oils. Throw in a brush every couple of days, more if required or if you both feel like being beautiful lol :) and viola, grooming complete. 

Now the pitbulls, I concur wholeheartedly. I hate especially the current trend of young girls getting one to look cute on Instagram with, only to be devastated when the dog attacks the fellow un neutered male that the owners thought they would just love meeting suddenly and spending the day in a pen with together *eye roll* . As for Brave? Well, even if we take the actual dog raising out of the equation, yes, you’re very brave to be asking for the council etc to please begin hating you. 

Sorry for the long post and I’m not trying to be a d**k, I’m just over people labelling dogs as incompatible with nature or as high maintenance as a Kardashian when really, those claims come about from people who somehow thought their dog was going to brush themselves whilst sitting calmly amongst their rose garden. If OP can pick up a brush and go outside for a play with their dog, they should be right. 

On 10/15/2018 at 11:45 PM, CandB said:

If OP can pick up a brush and go outside for a play with their dog, they should be right. 

I have to say CandiB, no disrespect intended, but that particular blanket statement is incredibly misleading, because it certainly does NOT apply to all dogs, nor to all breeds.

Someone who thought that  the the average Malinois would be fine with just a regular brush and a bit of a play in the yard would be very wrong and would create a problem dog. Any high drive dog, no matter what breed, needs a lot more time and enrichment than that.

A placid low drive dog would also be unlikely to be just fine with that, as low drive dogs generally are from breeds bred for companionship and they need to spend most of their time with their people, or at least with other pets.

There are of course, always dogs on the far end of the bell curve in any breed, so there may be the odd one that is perfectly happy with a regular brush and some outdoor interaction and not much else- but to blanket statement that to cover most dogs is just wrong.

On 18/10/2018 at 12:52 PM, RuralPug said:

I have to say CandiB, no disrespect intended, but that particular blanket statement is incredibly misleading, because it certainly does NOT apply to all dogs, nor to all breeds.

Someone who thought that  the the average Malinois would be fine with just a regular brush and a bit of a play in the yard would be very wrong and would create a problem dog. Any high drive dog, no matter what breed, needs a lot more time and enrichment than that.

A placid low drive dog would also be unlikely to be just fine with that, as low drive dogs generally are from breeds bred for companionship and they need to spend most of their time with their people, or at least with other pets.

There are of course, always dogs on the far end of the bell curve in any breed, so there may be the odd one that is perfectly happy with a regular brush and some outdoor interaction and not much else- but to blanket statement that to cover most dogs is just wrong.

Fair call, RuralPug. 

I guess a lot can come down to interpretation and personal lifestyles. I’m an outdoorsy type, my Velcro dogs have pretty much refused me any sick leave from work as they then feel obliged to stay inside with me; makes it a bit hard to rest with people sighing with boredom in your direction! :p

But yeah, it’s probably not the norm nowadays for people to spend a lot of time in their yards. I’m guilty of forgetting that! 

You made me smile with the Malinois comment, I knew two who would’ve seemed totally low maintenance, until you spoke to mum and dad and heard about how they were almost always on their way back from or heading to a new, fun dog outing they’d excitingly discovered :) yet they would’ve sworn their dogs were no trouble at all, they had no problems surrendering the best sofa and hauling food in from the outdoor markets each weekend lol. 

• Like 1