Jan Fennell- thoughts, opinions

Rascalmyshadow

Has anyone on here used her methods? Are they just a load of rubbish? Are they cruel at all (either psychologically or physically)? 

The lady coming to meet Hugo  on Friday sounds like a good match but my only concern is she told me she’s been doing a lot of reading on Jan Fennell’s training methods, I can’t seem to find a lot of information on exactly how she works, but majority of reviews I’m reading say much of it is ignoring the dog for lengths of time and most comments are negative.

Can anyone please share as much info as possible on her methods and possibly even give a better option, Hugo is a very sensative but demanding dog and the last thing he needs is someone that is constantly ignoring or being hard on him.

I read her books ages ago but can't remember much about them.  I find that I get a bit from each book I read, but that doesn't mean I'm a disciple.  We all do things in our own way and take a bit from everyone. I am sure you have taught Hugo well and he will be OK and just LOVE being an only child!.

• Confused 1

I’ll never forget the one and only time I tried the “ignore” on one of my dogs from years ago.  Once and once only.  My dog was devastated and crying.  From what you have told us about Hugo, it would be absolutely the wrong method.  

From what I have gathered over the years from reading, experiencing, hearing reports from others, so many trainers are implacably welded to their own ideas and have become rigid to the extent that some of their methods represent cruelty, to my way of thinking.  

ONE SIZE DOES NOT FIT ALL .......  dogs and children.    :)  :)

• Like 1

She’s a “pack leader” type trainer. I’m sure she has the odd useful tidbit but I’m automatically wary when ppl start talking about wolf hierarchies and “dog being dominance” etc. her ignoring method is part of the “establishing leadership” stuff. 

I have used ignoring sometimes eg if Thyme plays nippy I leave the room and that is effective but it is not so good for anxiety based behaviours. 

Id tread carefully and not be pressured into doing things that upset the dog. 

• Like 1

My memory of reading the book, and what I see, is that it's not in the Cesar Milan category, but it's a lot about "making the dogs respect you as the leader? ,,, she lost me at the "gesture eating" … human should eat before the dogs.       It's a bit siry fairy and I would say dog training has moved on.  I don't remember about it being about building confidence and joy through the training.  As a friend of mine would say, it didn't ;sing; to me .. but I don't remember it as cruel.      Chances are you can find a better home fro Hugo if he's a sensitive soul.

• Like 2

Just watched that clip and I felt for the Saint Bernard, it clearly just wanted some attention, instead of marching it out why not get some treats and start doing some exercises like sit, drop etc so instead of being a nuisance it was given a job.

If Hugo was marched outside like that just for wanting a pat or jumping up (which we encourage so we can reach him) he would slowly shut down.

My older daughter is upset about the whole situation so at least we can work with Hugo some more, not sure if we’ll get any improvement but at least we can keep trying.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Rascalmyshadow said:

Just watched that clip and I felt for the Saint Bernard, it clearly just wanted some attention, instead of marching it out why not get some treats and start doing some exercises like sit, drop etc so instead of being a nuisance it was given a job.

If Hugo was marched outside like that just for wanting a pat or jumping up (which we encourage so we can reach him) he would slowly shut down.

My older daughter is upset about the whole situation so at least we can work with Hugo some more, not sure if we’ll get any improvement but at least we can keep trying.

How is the dog door training going?

Maybe your older daughter could take care of Hugo,   keep him away from the babies & become his special person who feeds him treats.  :thumbsup: 

I  think you might be too upset about  Hugo  living in someone  else's  home,  not knowing how he is being looked after & trained,  Please don't give up yet,  Best wishes  :heart:  

On 24/09/2018 at 8:40 PM, PANDI-GIRL said:

Maybe your older daughter could take care of Hugo,   keep him away from the babies & become his special person who feeds him treats.  :thumbsup: 

I  think you might be too upset about  Hugo  living in someone  else's  home,  not knowing how he is being looked after & trained,  Please don't give up yet,  Best wishes  :heart:  

I was thinking similar but because I am the one with the dogs 24/7 everybody leaves it all to me, even if they help out in the short term I know it won’t last.

Just an update I have someone meeting Hugo today and another person on Sat, one in particular I think will be completely perfect.

I will se how he responds and go from there.

I’m feeling a little better after talking to both these people, knowing he will have the chance to have a happy carefree life rather than one that makes him nervous.

• Like 9