Tick treatment for puppies

Malamum

What does everyone use for tick treatment for young puppies, i.e. 8 weeks, when you first bring them home?

I live in an area that unfortunately is very prevalent with paralysis ticks. From doing a bit of online reading, it seems that most treatments are not particularly safe for use in dogs under six months so I'm now struggling with the risk of a paralysis tick vs the risk of the treatment itself.

I would be keen to know what other have done in this regard?

For those that live in an area that doesn't have paralysis ticks I know it will be very easy to immediately say that the treatment is unsafe and to not use one but I just want to stress the risk of the ticks themselves where I live.   Our older dog got a paralysis tick (and she was on treatment ) and the tick almost killed her, so I'm obviously very concerned about both aspects as I feel that it's a lose/lose situation.

17 hours ago, tdierikx said:

Thanks I am a little cautious of Frontline Plus though.

Our prior dog was on Frontline Plus (the pipette not the spay) and that was sufficient where we lived the majority of her life, however within a month of moving here, she got a paralysis tick which nearly killed her, so I'm not sure of it's effectiveness on paralysis ticks.

But that's the conundrum, using something that is strong enough for the paralysis ticks but that won't harm the puppy too.

Disclaimer ..no personal experience with the product, and don't live in a high tick area .. though have visited them.   Check out Fido's Flea and Tick rinse … says it's safe for puppies, kittens, caged birds etc .. but only prevents attachment for 3 days.   

When I first was visiting a high tick area, I sought advice from online vet product suppliers in SE Queensland  .. I think probably VetnPet Direct, and they were very helpful.   Worth a try, asking their advice, anyway.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rebanne said:

ask your vet

I have already but I did only speak to one of the nurses and not the vet.  She suggested a specific product and upon doing a bit reading on it I'm not sure how safe it is for puppies.   So before I call back and ask to speak to the vet and question that product recommendation I was keen to hear what others have done in the same circumstances.

Nexgard can be used for puppies.  My two have been on it for at least three years without ill effect.  We live in a high risk zone & the only ticks I have seen are dead ones.  I guess ALL tick products come with a tiny bit of risk, but weighed up against what happens to the dog when it does get a tick & I will go with prevention anyday.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 02/10/2018 at 8:25 AM, jemappelle said:

I used Nexgard for my pup, without any problems, but am considering switching to the Seresto collar after the latest info released on Bravecto and Nexgard.

We have a newly-adopted puppy (5 months old, Border Collie X Kelpie; lovely, desexed, vaccinated, microchipped, in great healthy condition etc.) & I bought a Seresto Tick and Flea Collar (for ~$50 from memory, from local pet store @ their recommendation).

Whilst our property has no fleas, the adjacent bushland etc. certainly has ticks – so far puppy seems fine, no evidence of any fleas nor ticks during regular checks; though she does occasionally scratch herself a little around the neck.

On our previous dog I used to use frontline (monthly I think?), then later changed to Preventic collars (then similar Killtix collars), as well as some periods of Nexguard monthly chews, from memory.
..Which basically worked OK.

1st time using Seresto collar – do they seem quite good, to all who use them?