cat grass tips

juice

I only have a small grass lawn , the rest is pavers or fake turf and the girls eat grass on walks, however the area for long grass is a good 20 min walk away and Barbie isn't upto going that far . Someone suggested buying cat grass to plant in pots at home, but reading up on it you seem to buy it in seeds and it only lasts a few week and you have to replant?

Can i buy plants already grown and plant in the garden ?

I was tempted to just take a trowel and dig a little clump up where they eat it on walk and bring it home.

• Like 1

Cat grass is a permanent grass & you buy the plants in Bunnings.  It has a lot of vitamins & minerals not found in lawn grass. It grows well in pots.  While you are at Bunnings buy  some Catnip too.  Your cats will love you for it :)

You can buy cat grass as seedlings but you’ll need to pot it on. You can also buy “pet” grass, which is the same thing but packaged for dog people with a papillon on the label. :laugh:

I think they talk about resowing to get fresh tender grass that’s tastier and to have a continual supply if it’s getting demolished. Also if you let it become too root bound it will die like any plant. I just take it out if it’s looking sad, hack off roots about 1/2-2/3, cut back grass too, then put it back into the same pot with fresh soil and give it a drink with seasol. It will bounce back so long as it’s not too far gone.

Seeds are cheaper though and sprout readily. You might just need to protect them until established. If they are getting through the grass quicker than it can tolerate you might like to have two pots on the go. I had to do that with pineapple sage.

• Like 1