Overprotective Cocker spaniel

Eni

Hi

My cocker spaniel girl has turned one and finished her first season few weeks ago (now waiting to get her spayed).

She has started to show signs of either jealousy or being overprotective towards me and my family. She will bark and snap at other dogs if she is sitting next to me and they approach to get a pat.  
My family and I were at the beach the other day and were all sitting on our towels. Couple of dogs approached us and she went mad at them. Barking and snarling to get them way.

She has always been playful, happy and very social with all dogs and humans. She doesn't do that with humans, only dogs. 

Could it be the heat making her more angry and irritable? It has been around 6 weeks since she finished  but her teats were swollen until just recently.

Should I expect this behavior settle after spaying or could be more age related ? And if so, how could I prevent her from feeling she has to protect us?  I don't want to take her to the beach at this stage, she was really aggressive and I had to physically hold her back. At the dog park she will only give a bark and snap occasionally so I could do training there. 

If anyone has any suggestion for training I will welcome it.

Thank you

pixie.jpg

Phantom pregnancy maybe?   In any case, for the next few weeks I would not be putting her in any situations where she feels the need to practise the behaviour, for whatever reason she is doing it.  If she is able to practise it, it could become a habit .. not one you want..

• Like 2