Looking for a female chow

Tetyana

I have a male Chow that I would like to breed in the near future. I have all the certifications to prove his legitimacy and regular vet visit checks. I am wondering how I go about finding a female to breed him with? I've contacted breeders around me to see if they would be interested in breeding with someone outside of their kennel but with no luck. Am I just going to have to purchase a female chow and do it that way? Thank you for your advice in advance :)

When you say certifications do you mean ANKC main registered pedigree papers? DNA health testing? Eye certificate? Hip and elbow scores? Are you a member of your state governing body? Have you shown the dog or competed in any dog sports? How do you know the dog is worth breeding from as distinct from being a wonderful pet? I have working lines dogs so don’t show but I do a lot of activities with them to demonstrate their working ability. Plus it’s fun! I spend hours pouring over pedigrees and talking to breeders - to understand not only my lines but other lines and other breeds not to mention the risks that go with breeding. 

Once you’ve worked through all that I would probably go back to his breeder and discuss it with them in the first instance. They can advise if he should be bred - from a breed standard perspective - and assist with contacts. I would be unlikely to breed with a male without a very good understanding of the dogs behind him in the pedigree. I am not surprised you have had “no luck” as you describe it.

• Like 3

Why should he be bred with .

As asked above what health testing have you had done,is he mains registered ,in your name and are you a member of Dogs ACT .

The Chow community is small so many kennels already use outside lines so your boys pedigree may be off no use to them .

I would gather breeders have already to.d you this and have a reason for saying No ,it comes down to whether your interested in listening to there reasons 

The same would app,y if you wanted to breed ,you would need to source a bitch with lines to compliment your boy.

Its not a case of buy a bitch pump out pups and wipe your hands off them ,you are liable for what you breed and the breed doesn’t need breeders just wanting to have a litter .

• Like 2

If breeders don't want him its because he is not good enough to breed with or they don't need his lines, he has no show record to prove his worth for future generations, breeders don't just breed for the fun of pumping out pups its to improve the breed etc.

• Like 2