Toilet training issues...

LexieLou

Hi all, I have a 21 week old rescue - she’s a staffy x German Sheppard. Her toilet training has always been a challenge, a three steps forward 5 steps back kinda thing. She was sold at 3 weeks by her mums owner, (then rescued by a puppy rescue), so I was wondering if that would have anything to do with the toileting challenge? She pees in her bed and on her blankets a lot. She’s stopped going on the carpet but still on the floorboards and always manages to find that one spot there isn’t a puppy pee mat. 

Any help/suggestions are more than welcome!!

Where do you want her to toilet and what is her access to the preferred spot .

What methods are you using to encourage toileting in the ideal spot .

Is the pup a confidant pup ,nervy pup and what is it’s general behaviour like .

Are you using a crate or puppy pen 

Ultimately I want her going outside but at the moment she has pee pads as well. She can get to the backyard via a doggy door

praising and treat when she goes where and when I want and ignoring when she goes in the wrong area and waiting til she’s away to clean it. She’s pretty confident and relatively well behaved except for trying to eat my food and the toilet training issues. 

Not crate training or puppy pen, but her ‘area’ is small and has direct access to the backnyard

Honestly I'd scrap the pee pads,  

It just teaches them to wee inside and on mats and rugs and other lookalikes in the house :shrug:

The biggest thing is to make sure that puppy is supervised at ALL times! Every time you turn your back there is an opening for an accident. 

Take her out more often and everytime you take her out take her out on a lead to the exact same spot everytime. 

When she goes toilet outside make it a big deal and treat her like crazy! Also give it a command word, I use "Go Pee."

Make sure that you are cleaning up accidents with a product that removes the Pheromones from that spot. Otherwise she will continue to wee there.

I can't suggest crate training enough! It speeds up toilet training ten fold!
I hope this helps!!!

:) 

• Like 2