What wet food to feed my dogs?

Clare

Wanted to go back to Vets All Natural Healthy Roll for Adults but having no luck sourcing it in Brisbane.  So am wondering about thoughts on Blackhawk or Ziwi Peak?  My male dog seems to develop skin itches with most dog food.  Currently being fed Blackhawks Dry Food and cooked chicken...  Appreciate some feedback?

I’m not overly impressed with Blackhawk. Personally I feed a mix of Artemis dry, yoghurt, chicken frames,  turkey wings/necks, lamb necks, beef mince, organ meat, sardines, salmon, raw eggs etc etc. It’s worth knowing what is making your dog itchy - a particular protein? I did an exclusion diet with one of my cats and it was a long but extremely valuable process. She can eat chicken but not turkey, beef or lamb. My Dalmatian can’t tolerate artificial colours/flavours. One of my Springers scratches on corn based foods. So I keep it as natural as possible. I’m also very impressed with the Prime rolls that I chop up and use for treats. Plus 4 Legs treats and cheese of course. 

Edited by The Spotted Devil
  • Like 1

My younger dog seems to be doing well on Big Dog BARF patties .. convenient as they're frozen in smaller packages (small freezer here).  They do make a Sensitive Skin one.

My older dog seems to so well on BlackHawk Grain Free .. but it really is a what suits the dog, and your own feeding preferences thing.

Oh and both dogs have some yoghurt (usually fat free Jalna) with each meal.

• 2 weeks later...

Our dogs, especially Chloe, seem to get itchy on chicken.  Nothing drastic, just a lot of foot licking.

What is a PITA is that so much contains chicken, even stuff that says its Beef, or whatever.
I don't really like the rolls, as they seem to have a lot of cereal fillers.

Jasper can't do bones, so we find that Lamb Chunkers is generally well tolerated. 

Hi!
Regular canned wetfood is made up of about 80% water!
It really doesn't have many benefits at all for dogs. It can actually end up causing dogs to be more fussy.

I feed my boys Big Dog BARF and they're coats, teeth and overall health is amazing! :love:
Oh and you really don't need to cook chicken for dogs, cooking it depletes the nutrients, much better to feed it raw :)

• Like 1

Processed food is processed food... no matter how much you pay nor how pretty the packaging... The trouble with the commercial companies is they really care more for the bottom line and will feed you any line to convince you to spend your money on their products.....
If you were happy using the Vets All Natural Roll but find it difficult to source - why not consider using the Vets All Natural Complete Mix with raw meat - we also add some yoghurt each day and sardines a couple of times a week...
You can buy the Complete Mix online and have it delivered and source your meat from a local supply... 
I worked out that I can feed my dogs for about $4 per day each...  so very much comparable to a supermarket processed food.... and I believe they are getting a good balanced diet without having too much fuss.

Edited by alpha bet
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/10/2018 at 9:48 PM, Rebanne said:

My dogs always got itchy on Blackhawk

So did my old girl Sarah - I've never seen her so itchy and miserable as she was on Black Hawk.  And it stopped the moment I stopped feeding it to her.  Back to raw for her.

On 20/10/2018 at 10:51 PM, alpha bet said:

Processed food is processed food... no matter how much you pay nor how pretty the packaging... The trouble with the commercial companies is they really care more for the bottom line and will feed you any line to convince you to spend your money on their products.....
If you were happy using the Vets All Natural Roll but find it difficult to source - why not consider using the Vets All Natural Complete Mix with raw meat - we also add some yoghurt each day and sardines a couple of times a week...
You can buy the Complete Mix online and have it delivered and source your meat from a local supply... 
I worked out that I can feed my dogs for about $4 per day each...  so very much comparable to a supermarket processed food.... and I believe they are getting a good balanced diet without having too much fuss.

Great post - couldn't agree more.