Refund on Deposit Paid?

justasking

this is going to be a long story short but I have been in touch with a breeder, chosen mum and dad that we liked, unfortunately the father has passed away before mating with her - problem being we have already paid a large sum of money as a deposit and payment plan was required to secure a pup when it did happen - where do we stand with this? 

Do you have proof? A written agreement and receipts?  A decent ethical breeder would not take money for a pup that isn't even born yet. Never pay anything for a pup until you meet the pup. I have heard some stories of breeders doing this and the buyer doesn't get a pup or money back. I hope you can get your money back. 

If it is absolutely essential to you that your pup be from this sire and dam, then you obviously don't want any other pup at all and will have to do without a pup and yes, if there was a written contract that your pup would be from that pair only, then your deposit and any other purchase money paid should be refunded to you. You can start looking for another breed or another species.

However, if you still want a pup, then that dam is still available and I would be finding out what alternate stud the breeder will be using - no doubt the breeder will be looking for as close a match to the deceased dog's type and health testing as they can find. You might find that the new planned mating is just as suitable for you and then you would be happy with a pup from that litter instead.

Another possibility is that sperm was taken before the dog died and has been frozen, so a litter by artificial insemination from the deceased dog is still quite possible. This is not an uncommon procedure.

Bottom line, is talk to the breeder and see what their plans are.

• Like 1

Best to check your state laws regarding the keeping of a deposit on an item that no longer meets your needs.

Personally like others forcing people to pay deposits on unborn,non health checked ,unknown temp or even unknown suitability of a pup or how many survives is shonky but a fad that’s becoming g the norm.

Means the breeder has money sitting in there account from how many people .

I think you will find you are entitled to a refund and I would be pushing for one Unless you are happy with the new potential breeding .

2 hours ago, asal said:

im gobsmacked, in 40 years of breeding and being attacked as a puppy farmer because I have never been interested in the show scene, if my puppy owners want to show I tell them go to have fun, dont let it become a win or not happy scenario and quite a few have won best in breed and group even best in show. I have never taken a deposit on a puppy until its not only born but at least two weeks old and sure its going fine? but then im speaking as unethical breeder because mine go with main registration papers, I believe we are supposed to carry on the tradition of the people who bred our dogs and let others continue their lines into the future, so perhaps my methods aren't valid in this area either

although yes I have shown, like sporadically and I mean very.  

as one sent out by the ankc to inspect me recently said, "Do you realise at least half your dogs here could go best in breed?" ah, well if I cant know quality when I see it surely I shouldn't be breeding was my reply. and last time I showed won both minor and puppy best in breed with the puppy going onto a 25 pt challange,, so why should I have to rock up every show to prove I have good dogs? or march to the "ethical " brigades march?

I'm confused as to what a refund on a deposit has to do with you not showing your dogs...

Perhaps you posted this in the wrong thread? lol