Weird Vomit LOG

YOLO

Sorry, can't think of a better way to describe it.

Came home one morning after an early trip to the ariport, to a fresh surprsie from Chloe.  She had vomited on my bed. 

But what concerns me is the nature of the beast.  It was like a giant elongated turd.

Now, it turns out, we rand out of wet food, so my son fed them kibble for dinner.  That soggy kibble was now compressed into the aforementioned giant log.

But where did it come from?

I'll admit to some ignorance over the specifics of canine digestions, but I assumed they had a stomach like most mammals.  Certainly in my experience, when they vomit it comes up as chunder.  So how was this compressed log shape caused?

My concern is that for some reason it was sitting in her oesophagus all night?  If so, why would this happen?

Edited by Big D

If it wasn't digested yet, it comes up as a congealed mess... I wouldn't be too concerned as long as it was a one off, and she's behaving normally now the irritant has been evicted.

Obviously the kibble hasn't agreed with her, so maybe avoid feeding it again.

T.

I must admit, that is new to me in dogs.

Plenty of cats do that - the typical furball vomit, but I haven't seen it in dogs. I have seen undigested food vomited up ( and gleefully eaten again if you're not quick enough   :vomit:)  - and I agree with tdierikx that is is a congealed mess - but it is not compacted like firm faeces.

If it happens again, take a photo before you pick it up and then phone your vet to see if it is something that happens - or if more investigation is needed.

• Like 1

Guest crazydoglady99

The other thing is dry food needs rehydrating (sort of) in a dogs digestive system. Wet food does not.

Chloe may have eaten a bit too fast or too much or whatever. As long as she is behaving as normally, its nothing to panic about.

Its the same (low allergen) kibble she eats for breakfast.

What concerns me is WHERE it was sitting for approximately 12 hours, to form the log.  Its as though it were sitting in her oesophagus rather than in her stomach.