Help!

Caitlin888

Hi everyone,

My 1.5 year old cavalier x poodle got a bit dirty/muddy after he was outside in the garden, once i brought him in i gave him a bath. That night he was constantly licking his two front paws. Today he continued and when i went to touch his paws to have a look he refused to let me even touch them i tried again later but he still yanked his paws away and jumped out of my arms. Does anyone know what might be wrong? 

Are you normally able to hold/examine his feet and toes? 
is it both feet  the same ?
Can you check where he was to get dirty ?  was he digging ?  could he have a splinter ,  or grass seed or prickle stuck ? 
Are any of his nails split or broken? 

was he digging? Maybe he cut a paw on something. Or broke a nail. Maybe he has had an allergic reaction to something in the garden or the shampoo. Can you normally touch and look at his front feet? Can someone else hold him while you look at his feet? If this is abnormal behaviour then he might need to be checked at the vet.

• Like 2

Do check his front feet or have them checked.
If nothing can be be found wrong it might simply be paw licking as a stress reaction - was he particularly unhappy about the bath? 
If it is stress, try to distract him from doing it to prevent it becoming habitual, or you might end up with horrible discoloured paws and a yeast infection. :(

• Like 1

My dog has a terrible habit of licking his front paws and always has done, and it always gets worse in spring. Then he licks them so much he gets yeasty paws. Perhaps your pup has a similar problem of itchy paws from either the grass / outside or from the shampoo ? 

Scout used to get irritated paws, also yeast.  Soaked them in apple cider vinegar diluted in water then would pat dry.  The yeast/itchies cleared up and he stopped licking them.  Also kept a spray bottle in the fridge with apple cider vinegar, distilled water and green tea - used that as a spray on when he came in from outside [especially after being on damp ground].

Hi everyone thanks for the advice. We took him to the vet and she said he had a mild paw infection and said to clean his foot in water with salt and then gave us a cream to put on. Unfortunately it has been 5 days since we went to the vet and still hasn’t recovered as he keeps licking his paws and pulling his paws away when we try to touch them. Maybe I will try some apple cider vinger and distilled water 

• Like 2

@Caitlin888

Oh dear ...

it's always tricky with feet ..

some dogs are a bit precious and need extra work so they will accept foot and toe handling  happily ... and most dogs will lick to remove any moisture or cream etc ...so   it's catch 22 ! :( 

I hope the vet ( or a different one) can help you find something suitable  and less stressful for everyone  ;) 

13 hours ago, Caitlin888 said:

Hi everyone thanks for the advice. We took him to the vet and she said he had a mild paw infection and said to clean his foot in water with salt and then gave us a cream to put on. Unfortunately it has been 5 days since we went to the vet and still hasn’t recovered as he keeps licking his paws and pulling his paws away when we try to touch them. Maybe I will try some apple cider vinger and distilled water 

Apple cider is really only good for yeast as it kills it off.  If your dog has a mild infection, I'd go with the salt water paw soaks twice a day.  Salt water will help stave off infections.  Heh even my GP recommends salt water foot soaks when I've had foot skin issues with getting wet feet in shoes over winter.  Even better if you live near a beach, the dog can wade through salt water :)

I'd be looking into an elizabethan collar in the interim when using the paw cream, so the dog can't get to his paws and lick them.  Needs time to heal and stop the constant licking process.

• Like 1