I need advice

For Dax

My 9 and 1/2 month old cavalier cross was given otc meds by our vet. then next day she vomited and by the afternoon was a little shaky. the next morning I rang my vet and booked her in as she was having difficulty walking. the vet called it ataxia. they took bloods, but she did not have a temperature and sent her home. she declined rapidly I race her back in and they put her on fluids and sedated her, 3 days later she had to be euthanised. extensive testing was done and everything was ruled out. the mediation company is refusing to pay the vet bill or compensate me as they save it was viral even though all the tests proved it was not. Can I sue the medication company, I know my dog was not the first to have an adverse reaction to the flea and tick treatment. What can I do? I am still very upset even though it has been a few months now. I don't want anyone else to go through this. 

Have been reading about people who's dogs have had severe reactions to flea/tick/worming meds.  Possibly google the company brand and see what other's have had happen, may get hits in forums or facebook groups etc., try for Australian accounts first.  There should also be some form of side effects information out there somewhere.

My brother's Lab had issues with a flea/tick spot on medication [forget which brand now] - ended up getting weakness/paralysis in the rear legs.  Which was a side effect of the particular brand :(

Edited by Kajirin

8 hours ago, Kajirin said:

Have been reading about people who's dogs have had severe reactions to flea/tick/worming meds.  Possibly google the company brand and see what other's have had happen, may get hits in forums or facebook groups etc., try for Australian accounts first.  There should also be some form of side effects information out there somewhere.

My brother's Lab had issues with a flea/tick spot on medication [forget which brand now] - ended up getting weakness/paralysis in the rear legs.  Which was a side effect of the particular brand :(

A friend lost two of her puppies after being given bravecto, began with inco-ordination then degenerated so badly had to be put down. Her vet said it had never happened before so no compensation

Edited by asal
  • Sad 1