Weight Loss - what is safe rate?

Hi @PANDI-GIRL.  Simba is still with me.  So many enquires, so many unsuitable.  I guess people don’t read or somehow think they are exempt from certain criteria such as “not suitable for apartments.”   :laugh:  :laugh:

Sooty is doing really really well as you will have seen from my thread on her.  

My four: Mezza, Bunter, Tamar and Jeune go on as usual.  Jeune is now 18 and is quite well considering she has a tumour (under relative control with Piroxicam) and has those little granules on her eyes which require eye drops thrice daily.  

My puppy, Tamar, is now 15 and I think she is deaf now and showing signs of dementia in that she gets “caught” between chairs and walls.  

Bunter is now about 16/17 and has become grumpy in the past year.  I have to muzzle him to groom him and if I pick him up he fights me and tries to bite me.   This is so sad because he really wants attention and cuddles.  He is always close to me when I am at the dining table and when I am on the couch, he lies so I can drop my hand over and scratch his head.  

Mezza hasn’t lost another ounce, but he seems to be okay.  I had his coat dramatically trimmed at the beginning of summer :cry: :cry:, but I became used to it.  

They keep me poor financially, but rich and happy in others.............   

Just don’t ask me about the toileting habits of old dogs.  :laugh:  :laugh:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PANDI-GIRL said:

@Loving my Oldies  you must be so busy,   Oh dear!  Toileting habits,  what do I have in store for me as Pandi gets older

:laugh:  :laugh:  Don’t panic yet.  I have a large deck and eight fairly steep steps at the back !!  The ramp built especially because the dogs were getting old is hardly used now :( :(.  Tamar still uses it come upstairs, but she has to get downstairs first.   And now the dogs think that the deck is outside ....... no further explanation required.  Luckily I have a groomer just down the road who can supply me with mountains of newspapers.   

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, PANDI-GIRL said:

Probably the stairs are  quite offputting & it's  just easier on the deck,  at least its outside,   better than  on your carpet  :thumbsup:

Yes, you are right.  Mezza finds it difficult to go down and does it very slowly.  She is now following Simba’s lead and lifting her leg on the deck.  I can no longer leave my “downstairs” shoes on the floor :(  :(  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/02/2019 at 11:25 AM, Loving my Oldies said:

Yes, you are right.  Mezza finds it difficult to go down and does it very slowly.  She is now following Simba’s lead and lifting her leg on the deck.  I can no longer leave my “downstairs” shoes on the floor :(  :(  

I can’t believe I wrote this.  Mezza is a BOY !!  Trouble is . . . HE is so damned pretty  :laugh: :laugh:

15 hours ago, PANDI-GIRL said:

@Loving my Oldies  how is the doggy weight loss going,  are all your dogs well

I’ve really dropped the ball, @PANDI-GIRL  I think we will be starting from scratch in terms of Mezza’s weight loss.  

• Haha 3

I’ve read back over this whole topic to refresh myself as to the very helpful and appreciated suggestions :thumbsup: :thanks: and to see what I was doing in the first place.  I have to get back into a regime of weight loss for Mezza.  I’ll be taking him to the vet for a check up as we have completed a couple of courses of ABs so will weigh him and stock up on Satiety - which he and Bunter still get at every meal.    

• Like 2

Mezza had his weigh in and check up yesterday.  His weight is 5.6kg so I haven’t taken him back to square one.  Vet says he simply must lose weight because none of the meds he has been on have seemed to helped, but then we don’t know if he’d have been worse without them.  So in order to weigh food absolutely correctly, he is to have only Satiety and luckily, despite having zero teeth :eek: :eek:, he wolfs it down.  I have been grinding it and mixing in with ordinary food, but that makes it hard to calculate calories.  Since visit to vet there have been two meals and I have just given him the whole kibble.  Vet wants to see him in a month and wants to see a weight loss in that time of at least 250grams.  :whip::whip:.  I wish there was a kibble that I trusted to be a complete and healthy diet for dogs as it is so easy to just put some kibble in a bowl.   

I have also decided that Rose Hip Vital is a waste of money and now trying 4cyte which comes in little pellets, easily measured and the dose is tiny .. about six of the pellets.  I tried both Bunter and Mezza on just the pellets last night and they hoovered them down and asked for more, which they didn’t get :laugh:  :laugh:, because I am reading labels and sticking to them.  The Rose Hip is unpalatable and needed more wet food to mix it through which, of course, added to the calorie intake  :( :(.   Hopefully 4cyte will be a help them both.  

• Like 1