Monkeying around... and other animals

grizabella

A thread for my animal photos (aside from Bella and the Monarto chimps), because I take a lot. 

I realised I hadn't shared any photographs of the animals I worked with at AAP Primadomus, a rescue centre in Spain, earlier this year. I was part of a team caring for chimpanzees, two species of macaques, and two species of marmosets. Almost all the animals were former pets and performers, and many continue to struggle with problem behaviours as a result of their rearing. At AAP, they are integrated with their own kind, and most will be eventually moved on to a new home -along, of course, with their new families.

One of the most endearing groups of primates I worked with was Lazaros' group of pig-tailed macaques. The leader, Lazaros, spent many years suspended in a tiny cage, and the result is that his legs are slightly crippled. He is a small monkey, elderly and slow-moving, but with a lot of attitude- no one messes with him. One can't help but admire his spirit.

25427005747_6ac5f6d8be_c.jpgLazaros by Amy Atherton, on Flickr

41517633551_f3a1b4e03d_c.jpgLazaros by Amy Atherton, on Flickr

Even older than Lazaros was Glenn, the oldest of his species on record at 31 years old (or more). Glenn was quite possibly the least attractive monkey I've ever seen, but it's impossible not to love him. He was a courageous little soul, and it was a great privilege to care for him

28002813309_33567090bc_c.jpgGlenn by Amy Atherton, on Flickr

Then there was Calimero... a very feisty fellow! With long, spindly limbs, he was well equipped to grab and pull hair should we get too close when giving his dinner. 

25908881228_2d28a8aa31_c.jpgCalimero by Amy Atherton, on Flickr

And my special favourite, dear Ino, Glenn's son. Bottom of the pile, he was a supportive son to Glenn when the old guy was having troubles with his health, and would often show me a friendly greeting face. I've met a fair few monkeys in my time, but Ino is probably the very sweetest.

28002830389_48184947b5_c.jpgIno by Amy Atherton, on Flickr

40624573815_b926463723_c.jpgIno by Amy Atherton, on Flickr

Edited by grizabella
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Right now, I'm in Sierra Leone, working at a three month wildlife conservation internship at Tacugama Chimpanzee Sanctuary. For now, I'm in a quarantine period, so I'll be working alongside the chimpanzee care staff later in my stay. So far, I've been working with Tacugama's amazing conservation and community outreach team, which has been an incredible learning experience. Last week, I went on the daily patrols with the rangers, recording data as they shared with me a wealth of knowledge about what they do. The teams monitor the presence of wildlife, which includes chimpanzees, duikers, pangolins and several monkey species, destroy any traps set, and report any illegal activity. Since their work started, the forests surrounding Tacugama have suffered a great deal less illegal hunting and deforestation. Recent mudslides in the nearby areas have shown just how vital the maintenance of the forests over the hills is to the environment, and the people who live in the capital, Freetown, so close to the hills. I've also been putting together community presentations, which the team will use in one of their major conservation projects for the year, a whole lot of data entry, and looking after two lovely duikers and a bushbuck. :love:

Here are some snaps:

DSC4242.jpg

DSC4320.jpgimage photo upload free

Maxwell's duiker

DSC4299.jpgpost my foto

Red-flanked duiker, Katy

DSC4318.jpgally financial near me

Kortu

DSC4350.jpg

Lola

DSC4353.jpggif upload site

Molly

DSC4352.jpg

Winnie

DSC4409.jpg

Michael

DSC4413.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Today was so special... my job was to photograph the young babies, most of whom are still undergoing their quarantine period. It was such a privilege to be able to get close (wearing a protective mask and having gone through a quarantine period) to the infants in the care of their amazing surrogate mother. In the past year, the sanctuary has rescued a staggering ten chimpanzee infants. For an infant to be captured, the mother must be killed, and likely several other family members were also slaughtered as part of the illegal trade in bushmeat. The youngest, and latest arrival is thought to be only four months old. Young chimpanzees are not naturally weaned until after four years of age, and will stay close to their mothers for longer still, so to be orphaned in this way is hugely traumatic. To be in the presence of these precious babies was emotional to say the least. 

Miata

DSC4922.jpgpic share link

Ramba

DSC4990.jpg

Flavour

DSC5032.jpg

Rocco

DSC5123.jpgpix upload

Lizzy

DSC4952.jpg

Caesar

DSC5011.jpg