Puppy transportation interstate. Costs involved?

Maz188

Hello everyone.

My fiance and I have found a breeder located near Hobart, however, we live in Canberra. I have never used a pet transportation service before and just started looking online. There are so many companies but they all require detailed information just to get a rough quote. Can anyone let me know of their experiences with pet transport companies and roughly how much it would cost?

Thank you. Any help would be appreciated.

My current two came as pups from their breeders via Jet Pets .. 8 years apart .. different States, but really good service both times .. arranged by their breeders .. depends on distance etc as far as costs go.  

I also had great help organising my two to fly at short notice to the mainland a couple of years ago from Moorholme Park.

• Like 1

My Westie girl arrived in Adelaide from Port Macquarie back in May on two Virgin flights - didn't use a pet transport company - just booked direct with the airline -  and it went really well.  The Virgin staff looked after her brilliantly.

Edited by westiemum
sp
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, westiemum said:

My Westie girl arrived in Adelaide from Port Macquarie back in May on two Virgin flights - didn't use a pet transport company - just booked direct with the airline -  and it went really well.  The Virgin staff looked after her brilliantly.

Another thumbs up for Virgin …. the guys in Hobart are just great.   When my puppy was coming in last year, her plane doing the Melbourne Hobart leg was delayed, (which I actually knew from Flight Tracker :laugh: ) but given the 9,30 pm arrival time had been pushed back to 10.20, they wanted to make sure I knew not to come to the airport too early, and to reassure me that the plane was now loading and the pup was safely on board .. that bit I totally appreciated.  They are great with the dogs themselves too.

• Like 2

It is not expensive - a couple of weeks ago it cost me $145 to send a pup from Melbourne to Brisbane and $313 to send Melbourne to Perth and those prices both  included crate hire.

Edited by JRG
Incorrect information
  • Like 2

Sorry, I think the Perth one included collection from my place which the new owner did not have to pay.  I often get the dogs collected because it saves me driving an hour to the airport and an hour back again!

the collection fee would have been approx $100

It can be expensive - try flying a Mastiff pup anywhere! LOL!

My last pup was a tiny toy breed and cost less than $150 to fly from Darwin to Melbourne, including crate hire. But it is largely based on the weight of the pup/size of the crate.

Also you will find it is usually cheaper if you can find a non-stop flight.  Recently I had to fly an adopted cat from Brisbane to Launceston - I saved bout $90 from memory by choosing the non-stop flight. One reason for that was because it was quicker and the cat didn't therefore need a supervised rest stop and the other reason was that sometimes a flight that lands somewhere will physically change planes before continuing.

I usually check with Moorhome Transport first for interstate flights. They will give estimates for airport to airport - you do need to know crate size and approximate weight of pup though  (which your breeder should be able to tell you).

Is it the baby corgi in your profile pic? Adorable! :heart:

• Like 1

17 hours ago, JRG said:

It is not expensive - a couple of weeks ago it cost me $145 to send a pup from Melbourne to Brisbane and $313 to send Melbourne to Perth and those prices both  included crate hire.

Thank you so much for this. It's exactly what I was looking for. I didn't know whether it would cost hundreds of $$$ or thousands.

16 hours ago, RuralPug said:

It can be expensive - try flying a Mastiff pup anywhere! LOL!

My last pup was a tiny toy breed and cost less than $150 to fly from Darwin to Melbourne, including crate hire. But it is largely based on the weight of the pup/size of the crate.

Also you will find it is usually cheaper if you can find a non-stop flight.  Recently I had to fly an adopted cat from Brisbane to Launceston - I saved bout $90 from memory by choosing the non-stop flight. One reason for that was because it was quicker and the cat didn't therefore need a supervised rest stop and the other reason was that sometimes a flight that lands somewhere will physically change planes before continuing.

I usually check with Moorhome Transport first for interstate flights. They will give estimates for airport to airport - you do need to know crate size and approximate weight of pup though  (which your breeder should be able to tell you).

Is it the baby corgi in your profile pic? Adorable! :heart:

Thank you for you reply and all the info.

Unfortunately it isn't the corgi and the pup I wanted has been sold but it's still god to know so that I can factor in costs and budgeting. I am happy to drive to Sydney from Canberra to pick up our pup at the airport. 

• Like 1