Labrador puppy with droopy eyes

LunaC

My new puppy has very droopy eyes. I wasn’t aware that this was a problem with labradors. She came from pedigree parents so I’m surprised that she has this. Is it hereditary? Will it improve as she gets older? We had a quick viewing of the puppy litter when they were 6 weeks and I didn’t see it in any of them then and it’s not apparent in the photos I took at the time. The breeder selected the pup for us and when we took her home at 8 weeks I noticed them. I messaged the breeder yesterday morning asking if it’s hereditary and if either of the parents have this but she hasn’t replied. Thoughts? It gives her a very sad appearance and I’m worried about them getting infected.

When Thyme (my show line springer)  was teething he got very droopy eyes. So even though his parents didn’t have droopy eyes I was worried he would! It was the swelling and puppy uglies. 

thankfully, after all teeth in and he grew a bit - no droopy eyes. Phew!

Edited by Thistle the Best Dog
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I think it’s to do with their faces growing so quickly. 

It can almost look sometimes like the lower rim is weighted down in the middle and somehow thick enough to be a ledge? And then they take a nap and wake up with eyes that look too small? 

If it’s not a health issue, then I’d bet it’s just growth, like how you can have a nice looking head in the evening, a way too tiny head with slity eyes in the morning and then a way too big head by night time, that sort of thing. 

If it’s that, the droopy eye look will go away within a few weeks. It’s weird, though!! Even when you know rationally that it makes sense.

Have you been for your wellness check? I’d just mention it to the vet then to double check. 

Once the adult teeth start to really come though and the face shape stabilises, the “real lab” look should hold steadily.

Well, for the face, anyway. The body will still change by the hour.