Loving home for my dog?

I'd love to find my dog (Sprocket) a new home.  I have two dogs (both from the pound) and due to a marriage breakup my dogs and I live in an apartment.  One of my dogs is fine but the other (Sprocket) is finding it very hard to adjust and has diagnosed separation anxiety.  He's fine with a few other dogs and him or with at least one person and him.  I've been managing by taking both my dogs to the dog sitter every second day.  The dog sitters aren't at home all the time but have two dogs of their own and Sprocket seems to be fine there.  But they aren't looking for another long term dog and I honestly love love love Sprocket.  He has recently had surgery which was a significant amount (I'm sure regular dog people will know what sort of numbers I am talking about... and he wasn't insured at the time) --  as you can imagine adopting him out is not something I'm considering lightly.

Sprocket is supposedly a schnauzer cross but I have no idea.  He's cute!  and loves company.  Can walk off lead.  Doesn't like small children. 

Sprocket is about 9 years old so not a spring chicken but walks and acts like a sprightly young thing.  Here's a video of him from a few month's ago (he's the one first in shot)  https://photos.app.goo.gl/6R7pNoZBBtvEZbb26  

A recent photo (within last two weeks) https://photos.app.goo.gl/2kTP1Xp8ciwSBBd68

Sprocket on a hike (yes he can hike and we do ~10km hikes!) https://photos.app.goo.gl/Cy9oJ5KzQUbtSuoA8 -- this was in April pre surgery so I haven't been on such a long walk again yet but he seems to be back to his usual ability.  

I just want the best for my doggie.  If I could find someone who was close by who I can have dog sit him during the day and I just pick him up that'd be ideal but I haven't found that yet so to be fair to Sprocket I think it's best for me to find him a forever home.  

Any suggestions/advice etc welcome.  This was the site I came to when he was first diagnosed with separation anxiety and whilst it's not cured it's managed by dog sitting mainly.  

I live in Hurstville (South part of Sydney) but happy to travel for the right home for Sprocket.  

Thanks @Papillon Kisses -- I have.  He's gone through training multiple times as well as been seen by a dog psychologist. He was ok on the meds but he became less 'happy' overall with the amount of meds he needed to be on in order to be ok to be left at home.  

After his surgery I stopped the meds and he seemed that his personality was much happier and bubblier and as long as he had company (at the dog sitters or with me etc) 

So whilst I can start the meds again it still doesn't 'solve' the problem but makes it a lot better.

If I can find a way to have him with me for work and get him to work (via public transport!) then it'd be manageable.  

There are many different medications that can be prescribed for anxiety. A veterinary behaviourist would be the best person to speak to. My dog has a different anxiety disorder, but he’s had negative responses to a number of medications and doses. For example at a high dose of fluoxetine he’s just not himself, so he’s on a lower dose combined with other medications that work synergistically.

And you’re absolutely right that meds aren’t a solution all by themselves. They also need to be combined with behaviour modification to progressively desensitise and counter condition the dog to departures and alone time. (Turn scary thing into positive thing in a graduated way, so the panic is never triggered.)

I hope you don’t mind me mentioning these things. I am just thinking about my dog, and how heartbreaking it would be to think the only option for his mental health would be to give him away. If you go ahead with it though, please disclose to the potential owner that he has separation anxiety and will need treatment from a vet behaviourist and force free trainer. It would also help to tell them the meds and doses you have tried so far.

• Like 1