Loving my Oldies

Location, Location, Location

12 posts in this topic

Anyone with long memories and have read my “I’m tearing my hair out” posts about the eating difficulties and idiosyncrasies of my dogs may know that I have two dogs on diets to lose weight and another two on diets to increase weight.  I’ve tried all sorts of things over the years with Jeune and Tamar to try to get them to eat: different places to feed them, different bowls, different foods and so on and so on.  

Jeune is by far the worst though why I should worry as she has now turned 18 I don’t know.  :laugh:  :laugh:  And Tamar (15 in January) is on a very expensive medication to give her an appetite -- she was skin and bone, but bright and happy so no medical issues.  (Naturally, they have had many visits to the vets over the years.)

However, I just have to recount this morning’s episode. :eek:  :eek:

Bunter in the study, Mezza in the bedroom, Tamar and Jeune on the deck.  Tamar and Jeune circling their bowls as though they are full of piranha or at least something that is going to do them a great deal of harm if they get within striking distance of the bowls.  

Eventually, I had to let Mezza and Bunter out of their rooms and picked up T’s and J’s bowls.  I decided on another try with the girls and took them and bowls into the bedroom and put them all on the bed (with mattress protector) ..... yep, both of them guzzled down a good breakfast!!    Crazy.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

BJ.   

Oh I can relate DDD, since Nash's passing I have been having terrible troubles getting Jester to eat. Vet visits showed nothing wrong, changed food, mixing different things into his food, nothing made a difference. One sniff and he was out of there. A Basset not eating is unheard of. When I let him out in the morning I feed the cats their raw food, if there is any left overs he can eat them when he comes in. So a few days ago I left his bowl of biscuits in the cat room, bingo all his biscuits gone. I haven't had a problem since....touch wood.:crossfingers:

• Like 2

Touch wood, indeed, @BJ..   Hopefully this will continue.   I don’t hold out many hopes for my peace of mind, though.  Tonight or tomorrow, they will refuse to eat again.   

asal   

went through this with amigo, sorry I cant do better than commiserate.

At least with Stringy he would eat the plateful as long as there some some chicken in it or at least the scent of chicken in or on it. 

Edited by asal
  • Like 1

Hi, I love reading about your days with all your lovely old dogs :)  I feel so happy for them, that they have a nice home with you  @Loving my Oldies   you seem to understand their funny ways  How are your  fluffys   with eating now,  I can tell they make your day Happy & interesting  :)

29 minutes ago, PANDI-GIRL said:

Hi, I love reading about your days with all your lovely old dogs :)  I feel so happy for them, that they have a nice home with you  @Loving my Oldies   you seem to understand their funny ways  How are your  fluffys   with eating now,  I can tell they make your day Happy & interesting

I can assure you that some days, I am all for bundling them into the car and off to the nearest pound   :laugh: :laugh:

I have a little foster dog now, so that means a fifth place to eat, but he is very easy - I brought the crate in from the garage. (In fact, I always bring a crate in when I have a foster so if I have to go out, I can keep the new one safe until they know I am coming home.)

Bunter is still in the study and Mezza is in the bathroom.  The bedroom trick with Jeune and Tamar lasted that one time (or maybe a second, I’ve forgotten), so they are fed now in the dining/lounge kitchen as the deck is like a furnace these days.  I finally relented in desperation and, on the suggestion of a friend, am buying those little cans of dog food for Jeune. But when I give her those, I have to separate her from Tamar as Tamar is on a renal diet.  I did take one of them down to the vet to ask the vet if the cans were okay for Tamar and she said only in tiny amounts, so that is relatively easy to police.  

:rofl:  :cry:  :rofl:  :cry:  :rofl:  :cry:

• Like 2

LMO ..

so, basically  you don't even have to really think about it at all  ? :rofl:

How funny they only would eat in the bedroom 1 or 2 times, then no more,  did they  just look at you when you put them up on the bed & you could tell they wouldn't eat 

Jeune might eat a bit more with the canned  food it's  quite smelly 

Do all the dogs go outside to toilet or do you have an  indoor potty tray for night time

5 hours ago, PANDI-GIRL said:

How funny they only would eat in the bedroom 1 or 2 times, then no more,  did they  just look at you when you put them up on the bed & you could tell they wouldn't eat 

Jeune might eat a bit more with the canned  food it's  quite smelly 

Do all the dogs go outside to toilet or do you have an  indoor potty tray for night time

I take them into the backyard before bed.  The dogs have always gone outside, but as they get older with all the attendant problems, we do have accidents in the house.  It can be a long way out for little elderly dogs (Bunter is the “biggest” at 6.6kgs): through the house, across the deck, down the stairs or ramp .....  sometimes they decide the deck is far enough and that’s okay as I wash up any mistakes and hose down every couple of days.  

Jeune  has had THREE meals today.  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:.  I had to have a nap to get over the shock :laugh:  :laugh:

• Like 3

Jeune must think the canned food is delicious,  fantastic she is enjoying it so much,   I hope this enjoyment of food keeps up!   & Jeune stays healthy :)

• Haha 1

You and me both, @PANDI-GIRL.  Jeune is the most stubborn dogs I have ever known. I have seen her hanging over a bowl of food licking her lips and almost salivating.  But if she decides she isn’t going to eat it, she won’t.  I can SEE the difference in her weight in the past week, though, so I am very pleased with her.  

• Like 1