Dos and mobility scooters

clwydcelt

Exercising my Dog beside my Mobility Scooter. Is it allowed? We only use byke paths around Canberra. Also does anyone know of a dog lead in Australia that will keep my Dog away from my wheels?  He is a 13 years old Finnish laphund and loves his outing with Mum!.

Thanks Anne!  I found a place on line for dog leads for bykes which they say will also be suitable for Mobility Scooters. They are in Australia which is handy. A bit pricey though. It attaches to the underside of a seat. Sport4Dogs. I'll check on your Springer and Easydog walker. My Dog is a quiet walker and I'm using a normal collar round his neck but would prefer some sort of harness. When I started training him to walk beside me I used a martingale type collar.  If there are any road rules about it perhaps it's for people riding on roads? I would never do that! Your poly pipe idea would be easy and cheap but I'd need to hold it.  At present I hook the lead over the arm rest. Margaret

Hi there Margaret.  I'm not in Canberra, but I just came across this site, which gives good information .. probably if you contact this authority, you would e able to get the answers to your questions on the regulations relating to mobility scooters and dogs.  

Link to official information about recreation with dogs in Canberra

And I just want to say I'm officially jealous of the very dog friendly laws that Canberra seems to have.  :)

3 hours ago, clwydcelt said:

Thanks Anne!  I found a place on line for dog leads for bykes which they say will also be suitable for Mobility Scooters. They are in Australia which is handy. A bit pricey though. It attaches to the underside of a seat. Sport4Dogs. I'll check on your Springer and Easydog walker. My Dog is a quiet walker and I'm using a normal collar round his neck but would prefer some sort of harness. When I started training him to walk beside me I used a martingale type collar.  If there are any road rules about it perhaps it's for people riding on roads? I would never do that! Your poly pipe idea would be easy and cheap but I'd need to hold it.  At present I hook the lead over the arm rest. Margaret

Any Mens Sheds near you? They could attach a clip to one end of a bit of pipe and put a handle on the other to hook over your arm rest. Any handy person should be able to rig you up something for minimal cost.

• Like 1

Thanks for the Canberra Link Anne and the Mens Shed suggestion. I think I may soon have all my queries answered!    I'll add to your jealousy- some Cafe's allow well behaved dogs on lead  to be with their people in places reserved for them.

• Like 2

You could try this: get a nylon lead the length you want and the plastic pipe nearly the same length minus the hand hold. Cut off about an inch each end. Take the first ring and tie the lead around it in a knot. Thread the lead through the long section then tie the 2nd ring onto the lead with another knot. Leaving the handle free to go over your arm rest. 

• Like 1