Help

Coop

I have a problem with my 5 year old male beagle. He is an amazing dog, well behaved (most of the time) and very affectionate and I love him to bits. When he was younger and new people would come over he never had a problem. As the years went on when new people came over he would bark at them and sniff them for a few minutes and then be fine. Lately is has progressed further and now he has bitten a new person that came over, this has happened twice  He drew blood both times but it didn’t need stitches. We have had a professional trainer come to our house to work with him in the past when the barking at new people started to occur. I am just worried that the progression of aggressive behaviour could get worse. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Bring your professional trainer back and in the meantime make sure your beagle is contained when people come over. A vet trip to make sure there is no pain issues going on would be helpful as well. If he is doing this while away from the house (i.e. on walks) he should also be wearing a muzzle.

• Like 2

Guest crazydoglady99

I think an in-home trainer is your best course of action. A) you need someone to see the behavior first hand  and B) hopefully you have a trainer that you like and used previously.

Sounds very stressful for you and your boy. I hope you figure out the cause and can find a safe solution.

Full health checkup has been done and it turns out he has intrvertal disc disease and was in pain. The trainer believes that because he would jump around crazy when a new person came over the pain he experienced worsened, so he began to associate new people with an increase in pain. He is now on medication and the trainer is working with us to retrain his thinking. 

• Like 6