Jack Russell attached at the hip

Wildcard

Afternoon Guys,

I have a 2 year old Jack Russell Terrier who we have had from a pup.

We took her to puppy training locally and were shown some methods to stop the aggressive nature of biting and nipping as we have 2 small children. 

She did the usual digging and chewing, to which I gave her toys and bones to try and get her to chew those instead, to no avail. We now have the view that if there is anything left on the ground for longer than an hour, it will be destroyed. We walk her regularly to try and stimulate her as well. That's not my problem though.

She follows me non stop 24/7. Literally under my feet, I bend over to pick something up and she nips at my hands, if I sit in a chair watching the kids, she will sit and stare at me, not breaking eye contact for literally hours.

I'm gathering it's a waiting for a command of the master type of thing. She won't play with the kids though. if they throw the ball she will bring it back to me and not give it to the kids, she won't take treats from the kids, only me. If I am inside, she will sit at the door and watch me and ignore the kids who want to play with her, all day. 

She is also extremely vocal. If I pick her up around the belly, she screams so loud and pees herself. 

I am at wits end, I can't handle it anymore. We wanted a dog that the kids could play with. Please help!!

Dan

How old are the children ?
As far as training did you do all the classes & are you the one who spends the most time with the dog .
Picking up & screaming is not normal so have you been to the vet about that or been to a vet chiropractor.Dogs in pain can want to  be with the person they trust the most .

As for wanting a dog that will play with kids well there is no guarantee that will happen with any breed ,alot comes down to the kids,the dog in question & its personality & how stressed or overwhelmed it may feel around the kids

Edited by Dogsfevr
  • Like 1

Hi :)

My advice is to get this little dog checked out by a good vet behaviourist , to find out about this behaviour . It all sounds extreme .

...stop the aggressive nature of biting and nipping

...if there is anything left on the ground for longer than an hour, it will be destroyed.

...She follows me non stop 24/7. Literally under my feet, I bend over to pick something up and she nips at my hands,...

she will sit and stare at me, not breaking eye contact for literally hours

...if they throw the ball she will bring it back to me and not give it to the kids, she won't take treats from the kids, only me.

If I pick her up around the belly, she screams so loud and pees herself. 

Did you contact the breeder at all when you started to notice things ? have you sought help from vets/trainers?

Edited by persephone
  • Like 1

This is an unhappy stressed dog , vet visit to check all is well and then trainer to help . More research on breeds and kids would have been a good start , but could be kids are stressing him out if they are overwhelming him . You could ask Jill who runs JR rescue for advice on what to do . 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Did you get her from a breeder?  As a rescuer i regularly get shown dogs who are a this or a that purebred or cross and they aren't at all.

Jack Russells are busy dogs but they are very good at entertaining themselves usually, i love their independent streak.

I suspect - from what you've written - that the dog is in pain.  Picking  a dog up and them screaming and weeing themselves is shocking, please go to the vet right now.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2018 at 6:15 PM, Wildcard said:

She is also extremely vocal. If I pick her up around the belly, she screams so loud and pees herself. 

I am at wits end, I can't handle it anymore. We wanted a dog that the kids could play with. Please help!!

Dan

To the vet - immediately.  Poor dog is under a lot of stress and possibly something quite wrong inside, that can be easily treated.  

Good luck and keep us informed as we care about dogs and their families :heart:  :heart:  :heart:  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...