socializing pups at shows

klw

hi there,

i have an 11 week old pup and im wondering how it is that quite a few breeders take their baby puppies to shows when theyre not fully vaccinated yet ? ive seen many playpens setup with 8-12 week olds in it i thought you shouldnt do that ? i would love to take my baby to a show so he can look around which would greatly help to socialize him of course.im very interested to hear replies on this 

thanks

karen

2 hours ago, Diva said:

I don’t see that where I show.

I don't see it much either. I took two of my pups when they were around 10 weeks old if I remember rightly (nearly 10 now). I didn't walk them around but had them crated and toileted them out the back. I also recall a pen of pups ( no idea of age but not teeny tiny ) of a rare breed that someone I know ended up getting one which started them off on a great adventure! It's no different to anywhere else. It's a calculated risk, maybe a bit higher of getting something as so many dogs in one spot, from all over the place.

Baby puppies can actually be shown from 12 weeks of age - obviously the breeder will be choosing the vaccination routine that allows this.

Puppies younger than that may be at risk, but perhaps these breeders consider that the risk at a dog show is a lot less than the risk in a dog park or random area where unvaccinated dogs wander. 

I've seen it too, not often, but occasionally.