What Breed Is My Dog?

DogLove360

Hi,

I've owned this dog for 7 years now and have always wondered whether she was purebred or a cross.

We were told she was a purebred long-coat border collie.

We know that her mother was a purebred long-coat border as we got to see her ourselves but we never met the father.

As she has grown up we can now see that she has short-hair - I'm not sure whether the father was a short/smooth coat border collie or another breed altogether but she had to have gotten her coat from somewhere.

Open to guesses as to whether she's a short hair purebred border or a cross - I'd like to get her DNA tested but i'm looking for a lab that will do it under $60 (recommendations welcome).

I would also like to find her siblings if you own one that sounds like her, comment with a picture, i'd love to see them!

She was born in June, 2011. She was adopted from the Tamworth region.

This is her:

Image may contain: people sitting and dogImage may contain: dogImage may contain: one or more people and people sittingImage may contain: dog

She's very cute :) Hard to tell from a photo if pure or mixed. A DNA test will be your best bet but in Australia I don't know a highly accurate one for under $60. Definitely looks at least "mostly border collie". I hope you can find her siblings. I am cautiously excited, as through pure dumb luck might have found a relative of my dog and it's so exciting! Now to track down my boy's sisters ;) I want to see how they grow!

• Like 1

She looks identical to a dog that my daughter used to have, also from Tamworth.  It was from a lady that crossed border collies with labradors.  Unfortunately the dog died suddenly at the age of 4.  

b4.jpg

Edited by sheena
picture
  • Like 1

Smooth coated border collies are very common in Australia.   You girl looks reasonably pure to me, so I would assume that the father was a smooth coat.

The rough coat gene is actually a simple recessive, which means that a puppy must get a rough coat gene from BOTH parents before it will have a long (called rough) coat. Therefore if you mate two rough coats together, they cannot produce any smooth coat puppies.

Two smooth coats border collies mated together however, MIGHT produce a rough coat if both parents carried one smooth  and one rough gene and the puppy got the rough gene from each parent.

The genetics of ear set on the border collie is not so simple, however. Whether the ears will be erect or semi erect seems to be due to a combination of genes and not just one - in fact, it can happen they they will have one erect ear and the other semi- erect!

She's a lovely dog, i don't really care whether she's cross or pure but i am just curious.

Sheena, the dog is adorable, sorry to hear that they passed away. The dog does look similar to my girl, if i get the DNA test done and she comes back part labrador then that would be great, i can say that i might have found her sibling.

She was advertised a border collie, we met the mother but not the father so it is possible that the father was a labrador and we just weren't told.

It's most likely that she's either a purebred Border Collie, Border x Labrador, or Border x Kelpie.

When i get the DNA test done i'll update you on what she came back as.

In the meantime if you know of another dog that looks similar to her, let me know.

1 hour ago, DogLove360 said:

She's a lovely dog, i don't really care whether she's cross or pure but i am just curious.

Sheena, the dog is adorable, sorry to hear that they passed away. The dog does look similar to my girl, if i get the DNA test done and she comes back part labrador then that would be great, i can say that i might have found her sibling.

She was advertised a border collie, we met the mother but not the father so it is possible that the father was a labrador and we just weren't told.

It's most likely that she's either a purebred Border Collie, Border x Labrador, or Border x Kelpie.

When i get the DNA test done i'll update you on what she came back as.

In the meantime if you know of another dog that looks similar to her, let me know.

Yes Maisie was a lovely natured dog, but one day she just got up from a sleep & dropped dead..have no idea why but probably a heart attack

On 11/16/2018 at 11:58 AM, juice said:

i think you will find thousands of dogs that look like her, unless you have papers you will never know her siblings or wether she is pure bred.

I also hear the DNA testing is pretty useless.

DNA testing for breed type was really useless in the early stages when the DNA markers for only the most common US breeds were held! So if you had a  known kelpie/ACD cross for example it might come back as a border collie cross OES or something LOL
It has improved since but only if you use one of the better labs.