hip dysplasia.

noopy

can anyone offer advice on a knowlegable up to date and honest vet recommendation in Brisbane to help with my 14 year old red female cattle dogs crippling pain through hip dysplasia? We had it diagnosed by an emergency vet at animal welfare league when last November after she developed a uterine infection and had to under go emergency hysterectomy.

Those vets are in Ipswich which is 45 minutes drive from us. We are in south Brisbane.  She is in a lot of pain but want a vet who will prescribe the right meds and have extensive experience with hip dysplasia in dogs.

I know it sounds like a strange question but there are a lot of vets who are out to make money or are unpleasant....so no rude money wasters. Met them in the past with horrific consequences as I am sure many people have.

Recommendations are always useful when parting with on-going costs such as this.  Many thanks.

What medications has she been on for the pain over the years & what kind of exercise programme have you done to keep her mobile  ??.
If the pain is that severe is it time to give her her wings ,being honest at 14 there comes a time where you need to decide

• Like 1

No help as I'm not in Queensland … but please don't assume because you've met some less than great vets, that most vets are just out for the money.   Do you have a relationship with any of the vet practices local to you?    Has your dog had a full blood panel run recently?  I would be wanting that done in your situation, if not, as it might influence the choice of pain relief available to you.

The most important thing is to get the pain under control quickly for the sake of the dog's quality of life,  as I'm sure you know.   Then you could also look at using supplements which may help with mobility as well.

no meds have yet been prescribed with this problem ony being this severe from beginning of the year...…...excersize has been walking slowely and not often due to pain....and did not assume most vets are out for money in response to Tassie....supplements of all types for arthritis and inflammation have been used this past year with no relief for her even after being on them for a couple of months.....pain relief is not what I am after actually...just found out that cortisone injections every couple of months are the way to go...as for wings.....leave that decision to me thankyou.

Not in qld and don't know any vets there.  My impression is that you are likely to end up with scripts for Cartofen and maybe gabepentin, possibly steroids (injection?) . If your girl is heavy, weight loss, swimming recommended.  (I have arthritis in my hip and had several arthritic / dyspaisic dogs to look after in my days running a boarding kennel).  The peer reviewed literature isn't real positive about any of the supplements that get recommended, or about acupuncture.

You can call your vet and ask for a referral to a vet or clinic that has the experience you are after. has She been seen since the diagnosis? Vets are not likely to make recommendations with out seeing your dog in person to make sure no underlying factors or new developments. 

There are are so many different ways to manage arthritis pain in dogs. Will take a bit of testing to find what works for yours. 

Edited by Thistle the Best Dog
  • Like 1

My old dogs get Synovan and it helps enormously, an injection once a week for three (it may be four weeks) then a follow-up monthly. Normally costs  around $24 so check with your vet how much for each injection, I didn't have to pay a consult each time either so also ask about the follow-up costs.

At least the vet can examine your dog and set you on the best course.

I did a search on Dogz and here are some posts (mostly from me :) )

https://www.dolforums.com.au/search/?type=all&q=synovan

Edited by Boronia

5 hours ago, noopy said:

no meds have yet been prescribed with this problem ony being this severe from beginning of the year...…...excersize has been walking slowely and not often due to pain....and did not assume most vets are out for money in response to Tassie....supplements of all types for arthritis and inflammation have been used this past year with no relief for her even after being on them for a couple of months.....pain relief is not what I am after actually...just found out that cortisone injections every couple of months are the way to go...as for wings.....leave that decision to me thankyou.

So the dog hasn't had any pain relief for 11 months??.
You are after pain relief ,your dog is old & beyond supplements .
Yes your decision to give it its wings also your job to give the dog pain relief & go to a vet .
Medications vary so much & at 14 i would have mine on previcox so it has quality pain control Because your dog is in pain .Yes it will need blood work done & yes these things cost money but pain relief on an old dog is a priority .Control the pain & the dog just like humans will be more wil.ling to do things instead of feeling depressed with pain
One would gather you have had a vet used .Dispensing quality pain relief any vet can do .
Massage,chiro ,stretching exercises & strengthing exercises are all things ideally done whilst the dog was younger .How much muscle wastage has the dog got

• Like 3

What pain management is she currently on? When my staffy got too stiff from arthritis I stopped taking him for walks all together. He wanted to go but it was too hard on him, so we'd just do a very short, slow potter a couple of doors up and come home. He had been on pain medication and cartrophen injections for a number of years, so I'm not sure on the treatment regime starting from chronic state. I'd recommend my vet, but they're in Samford and are higher cost.

Ps I agree with dogsfevr - if she's at the chronic pain stage no supplement is going to help IME. It may have assisted as part of the pain management strategy earlier in the degeneration, but once they're at chronic pain stage, they need vet prescribed meds.

You said above that pain relief is not what you're after. May I ask why? That would be my primary goal going from what you've said.

Edited by karen15
  • Like 2

I'd have her on any/all drug/s that worked. Cortisone every couple of months is virtually useless if not combined with actual pain relief like - metacam, previcox, tramal, gabapentin etc. And Cartrophen shots periodically.

She is old and doesn't have long, and deserves to be as comfortable as possible. Don't let her suffer with crippling pain.

• Like 5

On 11/20/2018 at 8:54 PM, Dogsfevr said:

pain relief is not what I am after actually

Not sure why you are not after pain relief for this old girl ...if she were mine , I would be after a drug which was both easy to administer, fast acting , and effective .
These days there are good choices , and vets who care . 

Yes, pain relief can be a little pricey, and yes, Big pharma charges $1++ per tab for pills that cost pennies to produce (don't blame the vet for that).  If you're not willing to pay for it, giving her her wings is kinder than continued and worsening pain.  There's no easy cure for HD in an old dog. 

• Like 4

My old boy was on Mobic, only half a tablet a day, my vet wrote a script for it and it was around $12 a box from the chemist, if i remember, the dog version was over $100 . you need to talk to your vet about pain options.

• Like 1