How do you prevent this?

sandgrubber

dont know if if would work with dogs, but I care for a 92 yr old and to keep her safe from catching a toe on the carpet runner we have put blue tack under the edges so it cant lift or slip.. has worked great for a year now.  

Ha ha ha - I think that is a problem that will take many centuries, if ever, for a solution to be found.   

That said, there are thingies that you can try, but I have found they generally don’t work, but rather the mats still keep getting rouched up and then, because the corners/ends have thingies under them, you can’t adjust with a drag of a toe, but have to bend down ..... and five minutes later you have to do it all again.   

If you google for help, you will realise that people the world over are dealing with this very serious and troubling problem.  It is obviously something that needs a huge injection of funds from governments worldwide to come up with a solution.    

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, sandgrubber said:

My mob bunch up my carpet runners almost daily. IMG_20181124_095417_480x960.thumb.jpg.46ff42f1a766ef1855b72c9ca3a2972a.jpg

I use rubber backed carpet like you can put in the garage or carport..  Not pretty, but they are heavy and do not roll up or curl. Additionally, they do not slip and provide a good sound surface to walk on

• Like 1

You can get this plastic stuff that has holes in it and sort of feels sticky. I've used that before. Not sure it would stand up to really rough play. Maybe worth a try?  This stuff - https://www.rugsandstuff.co.uk/premium-hard-floor-rug-gripper-anti-slip-underlay-ako-profilo-109-p.asp

I got some from Bunnings a while ago to put on a shelf in a shower that was sloped too much and shampoo bottles just fell off!

Edited by JulesP
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, JulesP said:

You can get this plastic stuff that has holes in it and sort of feels sticky. I've used that before. Not sure it would stand up to really rough play. Maybe worth a try?  This stuff - https://www.rugsandstuff.co.uk/premium-hard-floor-rug-gripper-anti-slip-underlay-ako-profilo-109-p.asp

I got some from Bunnings a whole ago to put on a shelf in a shower that was sloped too much and shampoo bottles just fell off!

Yes I put that under the rug beside her bed, works well 

Edited by asal

Easy! Step 1- remove dog from rug

step 2 - remove rug from premises 

step 3 - Learn to distinguish the scratch marks in the flooring so that you don’t spend ages wasting time trying to clean them off ;)

step 4 - invest in good quality floor polish to ensure scratch marks have optimal shine. Take pride in your new Vintage Look Floor ;p

- although if you need to rug/mat to give a dog good traction as they leap onto the couch etc , just make sure it’s weighted down extremely well. Even the dogs who don’t flip and carry rugs away with them can still skid one out of place unintentionally.

For rooms like the living room, I just rearranged furniture to be on top of the edges of the mat, and made sure that furniture would typically have humans in it adding additional weight.

Then you’ve just got to check alignment, you can have sofas shifted in no time flat once you’re accustomed to doing so :) 

again though, embracing the scratches is a necessity ;)

Edited by Guest
Edited to add additional strategy

@CharbearsMa  I know polished floors are very slippery for dogs,  I took Pandi to visit a friend with polished floors all thru the house , Pandi was slipping all over the floor , I put her lead on & kept her with me to protect her from falling over, it was quite shocking when your dog can't get their footing right because of very slippery floors  

2 hours ago, PANDI-GIRL said:

@CharbearsMa  I know polished floors are very slippery for dogs,  I took Pandi to visit a friend with polished floors all thru the house , Pandi was slipping all over the floor , I put her lead on & kept her with me to protect her from falling over, it was quite shocking when your dog can't get their footing right because of very slippery floors  

Ohh no, poor girl!! :( 

We have a no running in the house rule in part because we can either slip going around corners or get our nails caught in carpet....or jump at and miss a couch haha (no injuries, don’t worry!). 

Plus my fear of crashing headfirst through a glass door has been amplified by knowing someone whose dog accidentally sent them sailing through a window (don’t worry, again there was no injury to the dog. Human was not as lucky.).

I don’t know if it works for all dogs, but I know one of mine really appreciated rugs positioned as markers, so that it allowed for a visual guide for where to start slowing down, where to step from to get the couch, it was amazing how much attention was paid to specific cues like that. Gotta make sure though that you never change anything in case of blindness or something. 

All else fails, you can just stand next to bubs and be like “ok one, two three and STEP!” and teach them how to properly navigate all areas of the house.

except for the bathrooms because we don’t need slippery paws...or someone trying to hop in the shower with you :p (boundaries, please!! ;) )