Buying a puppy

Heath62

On 11/27/2018 at 7:39 AM, Heath62 said:
  • I have only recently joined this group, after previously having had a bad experiences off buying a puppy and finding out the he had a untreatable bleeding disorder and we lost him at 13 mths. We have now decided we are  ready to find a new forever fur baby and decided to do it through here, even though we expect to pay a lot more it will be worth every penny not to go through the heartache off loosing another puppy so young.
  •  
  • i must say so far I have found the experience rather frustrating. I have sent email applications to three different breeders 2 with litters due within the next 3 months and one with a 6mthold pup due now and have yet to here back from anyone, I find this really frustrating, especially the 6 mth old as it is still being advertised. If this gorgeous pup is no longer available or if for whatever reason they have decided we are not suitable a simple email saying they already have a lot off applications or it is no longer available would be nice so I could stop thinking about this gorgeous pup.

Have you tried a breeder that will request you to fill out an inquiry form for a puppy or to be put on a waiting list? I've done 2 of them now even though we don't want to get one till mid 2019. All I have to do is within a week of an expected litter is to let the breeder know I'm wanting a pup from that one...

Few years ago I kept emailing a breeder from SE QLD, that I had found on the list of breeder here, they never replied... Funny enough one day I happened to see where they lived, I'm happy I never bought from them and the other day proved me right when I found them advertising their papered purebreed ( elsewhere) as well as selling a cross breed that they are purposely breeding. Hang in there, be patient. :)

Still the best in your puppy hunting

11 hours ago, CharbearsMa said:

Maddy, sorry to head off topic here, but do you know what the deal is with the Asia thing??

The Australasian animal registry, for example....what IS that?? Are the dogs expected to stray and swim to Bali? Or are we allowed to import pets from Asian countries? (Which doesn’t make sense to me given that to the best of my knowledge even dogs coming from the USA have to sit in quarantine, so why we’d be open to dogs from Indonesia where there are random Rabies outbreaks is kinda beyond me...).

In your case at least, is it a matter of you don’t export dogs or can’t (legally)?

I know importation is a whole other topic but the Australasian thing really has me thrown....

I'm not sure why there is demand for dogs to go over there but for me, it's just too much risk. If anything were to go wrong with the dog, getting the dog back in to Australia would be massively expensive and difficult. And on top of that, there is the illegal trade in dog meat to worry about, and the very real risk of the dog being stolen for that purpose, in certain countries.

Perhaps it's something similar to the current boom in Australian health products? (Ours are seen as cleaner, safer, etc.) Who knows.

And that aside, why contact a rescue that is about as close to Antarctica as you'd care to be? Why wouldn't you contact rescues in places like Queensland? I don't know, and if I don't know, I don't take risks.

On 04/12/2018 at 10:09 AM, Maddy said:

I'm not sure why there is demand for dogs to go over there but for me, it's just too much risk. If anything were to go wrong with the dog, getting the dog back in to Australia would be massively expensive and difficult. And on top of that, there is the illegal trade in dog meat to worry about, and the very real risk of the dog being stolen for that purpose, in certain countries.

Perhaps it's something similar to the current boom in Australian health products? (Ours are seen as cleaner, safer, etc.) Who knows.

And that aside, why contact a rescue that is about as close to Antarctica as you'd care to be? Why wouldn't you contact rescues in places like Queensland? I don't know, and if I don't know, I don't take risks.

Oh gosh, I didn’t even think of the meat issue! :( and I know people who openly admit to it being a thing over there....good call.

Yeah it’s so hard to get Australian dog food, I spend ages quizzing staff on where product X came from and they’ve nearly got me sold when they slip in about how we had a shortage here of whatever....sorry, not buying now!!

Even human food isn’t necessarily safe :( 

I really wish we weren’t lumped in with Asia for everything! 

9 hours ago, CharbearsMa said:

Oh gosh, I didn’t even think of the meat issue! :( and I know people who openly admit to it being a thing over there....good call.

Yeah it’s so hard to get Australian dog food, I spend ages quizzing staff on where product X came from and they’ve nearly got me sold when they slip in about how we had a shortage here of whatever....sorry, not buying now!!

Even human food isn’t necessarily safe :( 

I really wish we weren’t lumped in with Asia for everything! 

I feed raw so it's fortunately not a problem for us. Our local processor is a few minutes drive from us, and you can see the soon-to-be dog food, standing around in the paddocks.

I have no particular fears with regards to feeding kibble, I just don't see the point when our dogs are happy and healthy on raw, and it's very convenient for us. 

That said, I wouldn't buy dried meat treats that have been processed in China (which is the vast majority) because of the previous issues with them. 

As for the demand for dogs, I'm quite sure it's not for a lack of purebred dogs. Nearby countries (such as Vietnam) certainly kill plenty of greyhounds, so mosey over there and offer some cash, it should be a pretty easy way to get a dog (even an Australian-bred greyhound). Which suggests it's about something else, and that's probably the perception of "cleaner" or "better". And that, for greyhounds anyway, is a bit of a sad joke. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/27/2018 at 8:39 AM, Heath62 said:
  •  
  • i must say so far I have found the experience rather frustrating. I have sent email applications to three different breeders 2 with litters due within the next 3 months and one with a 6mthold pup due now and have yet to here back from anyone, I find this really frustrating, especially the 6 mth old as it is still being advertised. If this gorgeous pup is no longer available or if for whatever reason they have decided we are not suitable a simple email saying they already have a lot off applications or it is no longer available would be nice so I could stop thinking about this gorgeous pup.

I was interested reading this, and the replies. And yes I acknowledge there's many legit reasons a breeder just doesn't answer you, but having been enquiring about puppies for 6 months now I share Heath's frustration.

Like I said, I acknowledge people are busy and all the rest - but when a breeder adverstises puppies for sale now or soon as per the search filters on this very site (Dogzonline) and even more frustrating they've got their own website where you go to and they ask you to "contact us" via this online form or supplied email or even supplied phone number - and you don't get an answer, not by online form or supplied email and phone number AND message bank, NOTHING, NADA, EVER. It is very frustration.

I honestly started thinking and maybe I still do that's there's a clique or protocol that breeders won't share with us common plebs. I reckon I've approached in a number of ways, all requested ways by notices on this site or the breeders own website,  somewhere around a dozen plus breeders of researched (by me) "repute" and only two of them have bothered to get back to me. Thankfully both of them having after getting to know me and the home I could provide for one of their puppies are confident they can provide me with a puppy next year some time (and they both know I'm dealing with them both, I haven't kept them in the dark just to keep my options open).

So all I'd say to breeders, if you're busy or you only do business one way and all the rest - fine, your business. But please take all the contact details off your profile on this site and your own website (if you got one), if you don't want to be contacted or just won't answer any enquiries - please don't invite them.

Edited by John W