Would you feed Orijen?

Would any of you feed Orijen dog food if it became available here again? 

I don't want to say too much in case i jinx it, but keep your eyes peeled toward the end of January next year on Mypetwarehouse and Budgetpetproducts. Also,there will be no irradiation this time!

There was never any product safety issue with the product for dogs. 

The issue was about the irridated cat food. 

It was then a high quality product and I fed it, and would feed it again. And I had a cat affected by it. 

On 12/1/2018 at 3:10 PM, PANDI-GIRL said:

@Christine_72   What do you like about their recipe , over Australian made kibble,   do you think it will be expensive

I like the meat content/sources (85% MEAT CONTENT) and the protein/fat content. I do have issues with the beans and lentils in it though...

A 2kg bag will be $50, and the largest bag will be around $180 

Here's the ingredients for the original:

Deboned chicken, deboned turkey, atlantic flounder, whole eggs, whole atlantic mackerel, chicken liver, turkey liver, chicken heart, turkey heart, whole atlantic herring, dehydrated chicken, dehydrated turkey, dehydrated mackerel, dehydrated chicken liver, whole dehydrated egg, whole red lentils, whole pinto beans, whole green peas, chicken necks, chicken kidney, whole green lentils, whole navy beans, whole chickpeas, lentil fiber, chicken fat, natural chicken flavor, pollock oil, ground chicken bone, chicken cartilage, turkey cartilage, mixed tocopherols (preservative), whole pumpkin, whole butternut squash, freeze-dried chicken liver, dried kelp, zinc proteinate, kale, spinach, mustard greens, collard greens, turnip greens, whole carrots, whole apples, whole pears, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, thiamine mononitrate, D-calcium pantothenate, copper proteinate, chicory root, turmeric, sarsaparilla root, althea root, rosehips, juniper berries, dried lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried bifidobacterium animalis fermentation product, dried lactobacillus casei fermentation product.

Ingredients for the Regional Red:

Deboned beef, deboned wild boar, deboned goat, deboned lamb, lamb liver, beef liver, beef tripe, wild boar liver, deboned mutton, beef heart, whole atlantic mackerel, deboned pork, goat meal, beef meal, lamb meal, mackerel meal, whole red lentils, whole pinto beans, beef kidney, pork liver, herring meal, mutton meal, whole green peas, whole green lentils, whole navy beans, whole chickpeas, natural pork flavor, beef fat, lentil fiber, pork kidney, pollock oil, whole yellow peas, lamb tripe, wild boar heart, wild boar cartilage, beef cartilage, whole pumpkin, whole butternut squash, mixed tocopherols (preservative), dried kelp, zinc proteinate, kale, spinach, mustard greens, collard greens, turnip greens, whole carrots, whole apples, whole pears, freeze-dried beef liver, freeze-dried beef tripe, freeze-dried lamb liver, freeze-dried lamb tripe, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, chicory root, turmeric, sarsaparilla root, althea root, rosehips, juniper berries, dried lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried bifidobacterium animalis fermentation product, dried lactobacillus casei fermentation product.

38% protein

18/20% Fat

11 hours ago, Danois said:

You need a carb source to bind the product together in manufacturing. Without it it is just crumble. 

Yep. The puppy Orijen has 16% carbs, and the original has 20%. I'm going to be feeding the puppy version, it is an ALS food, and i think the less carbs dogs get, the better.

• 3 months later...
On 3/8/2019 at 6:32 PM, PANDI-GIRL said:

Hi @Christine_72 I saw My pet warehouse  now has Orijen for sale,  have you tried Nugget on the food,  what does he think :laugh: 

Yes, i bought a bag of the Original, he devours it. I'm going to try 6 fish next. I only feed a small amount of kibble, 35/65- Kibble/raw. So a 2kg bag will last a while, for $54 it would want to!

Lucky he likes the flavor ,     How  did Nugget go eating Frontier pets,  do you use that food sometimes,    I tried Pandi on  Pete Evans healthy everyday pet kibble,   WOW she had the worst sore bottom & scooting  I expressed the glands & kept bathing with a warm compress,  I'm not going to try any more new rich food on her it never  ENDS well!  :eek:

I'm keeping Pandi on  Frontier pets & Stay Loyal  with my own added extras of egg, tin fish, veggies,  leftover meat :) 

Hey @Christine_72 do you think we are to Swayed  by fabulous marketing ,  into trying so many new foods,  I know it's lots of fun,  like shopping,  BUT maybe not the best for dogs like mine  who don't seem to handle eating so many different mixtures ,   I'm sure some dogs do well eating all of the new foods,

What do you think? :) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PANDI-GIRL said:

Hey @Christine_72 do you think we are to Swayed  by fabulous marketing ,  into trying so many new foods,  I know it's lots of fun,  like shopping,  BUT maybe not the best for dogs like mine  who don't seem to handle eating so many different mixtures ,   I'm sure some dogs do well eating all of the new foods,

What do you think? :) 

@PANDI-GIRL        Probably a bit of marketing and stellar looking ingredients, plus i just don't like feeding the same thing day in day out, i like to mix it up for him and give as much variety as i possibly can. Nugget does fine swapping and changing, he never gets the same meal/protein twice in a row. I think i get more bored than he does lol And yes, you are right, shopping for them is fun, and i admit i have a dog/food spending addiction :eek:

I tried the Pet Evans food, he liked it and did well. I did try Frontier pets, but i swapped to Big Dog little bites freeze dried that i can buy from my local petstock. He really loves these, much more than Frontier pets.

• Like 1

Guest crazydoglady99

Read some books and do some courses. Because I am done.

Edited by crazydoglady99

WOW,    what happened to free speech,     I'm sorry about  whatever happened,     I think  Dog people would  absolutely  love talking about all  possible   New Dog Products!

I'm  sorry if my asking for advice upset you  :) 

Won't feed it, won't stock it. Nothing against the ingredients. Having sold it in volume last time, we had staff and customers who lost their cats. It would be a breach of trust to our customers for us to sell it again, regardless of its current status.

As an aside, am absolutely stunned at the price.

Sags

• Like 4

Does anyone else think it's very strange,  on a dog forum,   to be censored talking about the pros & cons of different food brands?  

Clearly, something has happened with  crazydoglady99,   she won't even talk on PM with me,   is this forum run by the dog food mafia?  

Sags might be stunned at the price of  Orijen,   I'm stunned by the mafia attitude on this forum,   NOBODY wants to chat anymore!  :confused: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Dog feeding brings out passionate views, it’s weird but it is right up there in the topics people hold uncompromising and extreme views on.

I don’t know what attention crazydoglady99 got but I am absolutely certain it has nothing to do with forum censorship or ownership, unless of course she was breaking forum rules in which case it was appropriate.  

As for no one wanting to discuss, this is a much quieter place than it used to be because a lot of activity has moved to fb. If no one responds to you they just aren’t interested in doing so. I know I have less than zero interest in yet another discussion of what to feed dogs. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 3/17/2019 at 4:24 PM, Sagittarian said:

Won't feed it, won't stock it. Nothing against the ingredients. Having sold it in volume last time, we had staff and customers who lost their cats. It would be a breach of trust to our customers for us to sell it again, regardless of its current status.

As an aside, am absolutely stunned at the price.

Sags

Thanks Sags. I admire your level of care towards your customers. If I had lost a pet I would be pretty sad to see it back on shelves. 

• Like 2