Cavalier King Charles

Hangcool

Hi All

Me and my wife are looking to buy a Cavalier King Charles puppy.  I've been doing a bit of research about them and want to make sure we can accommodate our new puppy as best as we can.  I have read that Cavs can't be left at home for more than a few hours (3 to 4) because they get lonely and stressed out.  We both work full time 8.30 to 5.30 pm weekedays (not including travel which can add another 2 hours on top).  I do occasionally work from home (1-2 days a week).  Home most weekends.  I am just wondering if there is anything that we can for the puppy to be alone for a longer duration when we are at work ? e.g having toys or bigger play area.  We have a decent size tiled area in our home and happy for the puppy to play here during this time.  We really want to get a Cav but at the same time, I don't want them to suffer if we don't meet the requirements.

Thanks

Plenty of Cavie owners work full time & the dogs do very well ,infact many breeders still work .
Yes some will not place out in a working home most do ,contact breeders be honest & just be prepared for some No's.
All dogs like company BUT it doesn't mean the stay at home family are any better than the working family infact most working families are great owners because they make the effort to go out n about with there dog where some stay at home feel there at home that is enough .
How to prepare as you plan in adulthood,all dogs need to learn coping skills & how to be independent & that starts from day 1 .
Raise it will respect,love & mindful its a dog (not a furbaby ) & you will have a lovely family member

• Like 1

I think as long as your dog doesn’t develop seperation anxiety (which you will not know until you’ve got the dog) then it should be okay. Personally I wouldn’t leave my dog (a cavalier) for that long but I know he would be okay if I had to for a day. When you first get a puppy, they need company, they need to be taken to the toilet, they need to be fed lunch, etc so unless you’re willing to stay home for the first few weeks then I’d be looking at someone who could stay with them or at least come over once during the day to let out to the toilet and fed them lunch. Maybe you have a friend or a parent that could do this for you while the puppy is very young. 

Otherwise in my local area there is a company that has doggy daycare which may suit you and they also have people that can come to your house and fed / hang out with your dog and even take them for a walk (when they’re old enough) so that may be a great option for you. I would be looking into one of options on the days you aren’t home. Good luck!

On 11/29/2018 at 4:15 PM, Hangcool said:

Hi All

Me and my wife are looking to buy a Cavalier King Charles puppy.  I've been doing a bit of research about them and want to make sure we can accommodate our new puppy as best as we can.  I have read that Cavs can't be left at home for more than a few hours (3 to 4) because they get lonely and stressed out.  We both work full time 8.30 to 5.30 pm weekedays (not including travel which can add another 2 hours on top).  I do occasionally work from home (1-2 days a week).  Home most weekends.  I am just wondering if there is anything that we can for the puppy to be alone for a longer duration when we are at work ? e.g having toys or bigger play area.  We have a decent size tiled area in our home and happy for the puppy to play here during this time.  We really want to get a Cav but at the same time, I don't want them to suffer if we don't meet the requirements.

Thanks

Some reading/viewing for you to help in yr decision -making :) 

CLICK HERE

CLICK HERE

CLICK HERE