Please help me make the right decision

Kenny

I read this today and thought of you Kenny -(not sure where you’re located) a large age range of bull terriers have been busted from a puppy mill in Queensland. 2 weeks old through to about six years. They’re not staffies but there’s quite a bit of similarity between the breeds. Maybe look up the breed and see what you think?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6445217/RSPCA-raids-puppy-farm-rescues-110-dogs-puppies-property-north-west-Gladstone.html

(UK news site but Australian puppy mill!! The courier mail wanted me to register...urgh)

The ones that are two weeks old will have all the benefit of being raised by foster carers versus the older dogs but it might be one of the olders has a personality you’re looking for through pure fluke. You won’t know unless you contact them and are honest upfront with what you’re looking for :)  

The rest i expect will have some trauma to work through. You would need to talk to their Carers to see if an individual has something you’d be willing to handle (eg no toilet training, separation anxiety, dog aggression etc) or if it’s your run of the mill typicak bull terrier puppy (chewing, doesn’t know obedience yet). 

(If a bull terrier pup is one you’d like to have. Don’t forget to research the breed itself to see the behavioural and health trends they have!  I know what it’s like to have your heart set on a breed. But it doesn’t hurt to check similar breeds if struggling to find one ;)

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, juice said:

Those pups are with the RSPCA , once they have had the publicity from the story I wonder how many make it out alive .   

:cry:  :cry:  No many I imagine.    It was my immediate thought, juice.  They’ll do a huge fund raiser and little or nothing will go to the animals.   

1 hour ago, sandgrubber said:

Confused. The AmStaff isn't the same breed as a bull terrier.  If you just want the type, why not go for a staffie? Much greater selection, less worry about breed regulation.  Same wiggly bum. 

and MUCH less chance of having your dog  misidentified as a pitbull  with all THAT entails :(:( 

@Kenny here are a couple of links- just for ideas  ... in case you haven't seen the hoo haa surrounding pits & mis-identification issues ..

LINK
LINK
I am also posting a couple of DOG BREED 101 links from the dogzonline site for you :) one on AMSTAFFS  & one on STAFFYS (STAFFORDSHIRE bull terriers )  :) 

LINK

LINK

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 1:31 PM, Kenny said:

Hi all

I sincerely thank all of you who have contributed your time, knowledge and guidance towards my situation.

I have declined the purchase of the puppy.

It was one of those extremely difficult decision to make. Easier said than done sort of thing.

Sorry that I have not replied to anyone by answering your questions, however every post made, I have read it at least 4 times, and answered your questions in my mind.

I apologise for not being very polite in answering one by one.

I cannot promise that I will look for a reputable breeder in the near future.   Papered puppies costs about 3 times more, and I understand the many years of selecting, screening, and breeding for the health of future pups. The price is all worth it. However I am not that lucky to be able to afford one in that price range.

Some may think I should not have the privilege to own a dog if thats the case... I understand.  However in life some things happens for a reason that we cannot comprehend.

My Pomeranian I purchased was from a back yard breeder, she saved my a daughters life.  Thats another story, but you see, it was meant to be. 

My heart is for a bully breed. I have to find one.

Much appreciated.

Kenny

Hi Kenny

Your honesty is refreshing and I hope this thread can help to enlighten others in your situation too.

What's also invaluable is the way a puppy has been raised during its infancy which  builds on an invaluable temperament (have a google of 'puppy culture'). All the best finding the right canine companion, I hope this site can help you in the future.

• Like 1

Also, there are literally hundreds of Staffordshire Bull Terriers, and Amstaffs in rescues all over the country.  They are mostly past chewing childrens' toys, and would love some little kid to give them a snuggle.  The few hundred being asked just about covers and desexing and vaccinations.
Please Consider  saving a life - you get what you want, at little expense, and some needy dog gets to keep his life.

• Like 3