Grass seed again!

I need some ideas because I’m at my wits end :mad

In the last 3 weeks I have had Lacey at the emergency vet twice because of a grass seed.. one in her ear that pierced her ear drum and then today she was back there again with a grass seed in her foot .

I check both of my dogs 2-3 times a DAY and yet the little b******s are still getting in , I just don’t know what to do. Currently Lacey is wearing a snood when she is outside , but now I am thinking of getting her some socks to wear... I feel like wrapping her in bubble wrap! I keep my grass short  and use a catcher but that hasn’t worked.

If anyone has any other ideas I would love to hear them :) 

• Sad 2

There really isn’t much you can do in and around SA even in the most built up areas, except keep things tidy, try to walk on sealed areas, and check check check......

One massive advantage to checking really well is forced air, in the form of a cheap forced air dryer off eBay. 

Every day, blow through the coat thoroughly, close to the skin, paying close visual attention as you go. Blast the air deep into the area between the toes, under the pads, around the genitals, through the ear coat, and through the entire coat generally. It’s the easiest and most effective way to blow the little bastards out of the coat. 

Just search ‘dog hair dryers’ and you’ll find several options of 2800watt forced air dryers for around $75-80. They are more than adequate for the job. 

You could try using a human hair dryer with heat off, but the little dog ones are far better IMO. 

Clipping the coat coat can help, but in all honesty, you’d have to shave the coat off with a 7 blade smooth all over, and even that’s no guarantee, you still have to check. Beside the coat will grow back within weeks and need re clippping, 

Just be mindful of where you walk and do a deep air check through the coat, takes 5 mins daily. 

I haven't found the seller I'm looking for, but I stumbled across an afghan breeder who makes custom walking suits.

It won't look as pretty as a dog in full coat, but for the grass seed season it will reduce the amount of her to check :) most of the preview pics are of afghans, but the gallery has some other breeds so I expect they make custom:

_wsb_704x496_DSC_9598.JPG

I am not sure where they are located. There is someone in Australia who makes similar but they only sold over facebook and I've lost the page! I believe they show standard poodles if anyone knows them. They made dog leggings, snoods, ear wraps...all kind of coat protector things. Couldnt find them because they closed down :(

edit. Found this company tho:

https://www.facebook.com/thedogtrousercompanyaustralia/

Still looking for the custom local person

Edited by Thistle the Best Dog
  • Thanks 1

On 03/12/2018 at 7:47 PM, Thistle the Best Dog said:

I haven't found the seller I'm looking for, but I stumbled across an afghan breeder who makes custom walking suits.

It won't look as pretty as a dog in full coat, but for the grass seed season it will reduce the amount of her to check :) most of the preview pics are of afghans, but the gallery has some other breeds so I expect they make custom:

_wsb_704x496_DSC_9598.JPG

I am not sure where they are located. There is someone in Australia who makes similar but they only sold over facebook and I've lost the page! I believe they show standard poodles if anyone knows them. They made dog leggings, snoods, ear wraps...all kind of coat protector things. Couldnt find them because they closed down :(

edit. Found this company tho:

https://www.facebook.com/thedogtrousercompanyaustralia/

Still looking for the custom local person

Thank you for the link :) 

• Like 1

The suit isn't going to solve the issue of  ear & nose  & it needs to be perfectly made to fit the dog in question otherwise there a nightmare for the dogs to wear correctly as i had water proof ones but sold them as there where more trouble than not for the brief time i used them & not all dogs will walk in them .
Would be potentially cheaper to get false turf & limit the area she can walk around

• 5 months later...

those little buggers!  I had one go in the eye of my boy when he was a puppy.  Scared the c**p out of me. I got it out and rushed him to the vet, luckily no harm done.  I'm always paranoid around long grass.  Haven't happened again since.

I was told they happen around long grass, thats where the seeds are.  I know its probably hard but perhaps any chance you can keep the grass to a minimal height?