Bull terrier puppy mill

Two Best Dogs!

Re. the post first quoted by asal, it states that the "breeder" called the RSPCA for help as the fire situation was worsening and she knew she wouldn't be able to get the dogs out in time - does it then make sense that the RSPCA would lock the "breeder" in her house for FOURTEEN hours while fire danger got closer and closer?  I also can't understand why other owners would leave their dogs with this person - were they bull terriers too ( there were no other breeds evident)  and why didn't they take their dog with them when they evacuated?   The conditions the dogs were kept in and the whole setup were totally disgusting and didn't occur that day - that took a very long time.  Posts on facebook often don't let the truth get in the way of a good story.

To me it looks like a hoarding or health issue rather than this being a case of a puppy mill or deliberate neglect. If this is the case I do hope that the owner gets the help they need. People that do not love their dog don't go to shows and spend money on importing etc. So I feel like compassion should be our number one emotion. 

As a group of dedicated breed and dog enthusiasts we do need to look out for each other. Had this breeder been able to reach out for help, or have help find her earlier then the RSPCA wouldn't have needed to be involved. But as it is I think action did need to be taken for these dogs to receive appropriate care. 

The only issue that I have with the RSPCA is that they have let their own emotions get in the way when they have been posting. I would have liked to see more information on where people who have excessive numbers of pets can find help and advice on how to notice and support people who are facing these types of problems. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I am on a sewing page. One of the regulars has posted pics today that include a 2 year old female surrendered from this breeder. She is being fostered. She has commented that the dog is very sweet and has come a long way in the past couple of months - terrified of everything, people in particular, when she arrived.

A dog can be good to look at but being raised appropriately by whoever bred it gives it a better chance for a positive and secure life. So as sad as it is this situation came to this for that breeder, it is still the dogs who have suffered the most.

Edited by Little Gifts
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...

Thanks LG. What a depressingly poor result. I am glad the husband informed the inspector and kickstarted their removals, do wish it had happened much much sooner.

At least the dogs are out of such a poor situation. I follow some of the foster carers and new owners on social media. The challenges they face are so sad, but I am so pleased to see them blossoming into themselves.

I do wonder where DogsQLD is in all of this, I have vague recollection the majority were registered pedigree. 135 puppies bred over two years doesn't at least warrant a check on the facility? Purebred dog bodies should be upholding good standards and care, and ensuring such.

COURT OUTCOME
Sharon McAdam was given a 2 year probation with no conviction recorded, ordered to pay $99.55 in court costs, $1,000 in legal costs, and $5,500 to the RSPCA and prohibited from owning any animal other than as approved from time to time until August 6, 2022. McAdam has approval for two dogs under certain conditions.

• Sad 1