Did insincts to chase and kill

Rac

My dog just broke into my sisters Guinni pig cage and attacked one. She shut her jaw down on it until it stopped moving then carried it out of the cage, sat it down on the grass and looked at it. She didn’t Maul it and I think she didn’t understand that she killed it. She allowed me to put her lead on her but I had to drag her out of the back yard. My sister is quite upset and has banned my dog from coming over as she is scared the same thing might happen to her cat. My dog does have a tendency to chase her cat. Should I be worried that she would do the same thing to the cat?

Your dog has a strong 'prey drive' 
it is drawn to chase small, active animals . it is INSTINCT ..your dog was born this way .
it is your responsibility to now make sure peoples' pets are not harmed ...this has been your 'warning' 

have a read of this info . 

CLICK HERE

Depending on what other training you have done with your dog , his/her age , and what your lifestyle is like with him/her ..perhaps  someone here can recommend a reliable and honest trainer to help you ?

• Like 2

Apologise a lot and don't take your dog to the house anymore. She is right to be concerned (broke into a cage!) and a dog chasing a cat can quickly go wrong. It does no harm for your dog to be left behind on trips to her house :)

If you aren't already, a dog school to help improve recall and impulse control can help reduce your dog acting on impulses.

• Like 5

Guinea pigs have to be the worst sort of thing for triggering prey drive. They wheek loudly, their movements are fast and erratic and they are defenseless little blobs of noms. 

Having said that, you already know that your dog chases cats so the outcome was a bit.. inevitable. For the sake of your relationship, I'd be making sure that the dog never darkens your sister's doorstep again.

• Like 4

This would probably happen again if your dog was put in the same circumstances. Now that you know, it is your job to never put that dog in such a position again.

Don't take the dog to visit places where small furry animals live.

It might be a nice gesture if you were to offer to buy a suitable replacement guinea pig for your sister.

• Like 6