Children's probiotics for my dog

For some time now Nugget has a perfect morning poop, but the afternoon one is always soft and never well formed. I have tried cutting down his food as well as adding pumpkin to his meals, but it doesnt really make a difference. I have also rotated through different kibbles with no change either.

So, this morning i went out and bought him some probiotic powder, but seeing as he is only 7.5kg i decided to go for the children's powder, it has no added flavours, colours etc. The one i chose is lifespace probiotic powder with 15 different strains, and is recommended for kids between 3-12 years. https://www.lifespaceprobiotics.com/product/probiotic-powder-children/?gclid=CjwKCAiA9K3gBRA4EiwACEhFe0jndVvXv62QfT2fW3CkKmo-l9VMS-8qabaIhAcJ6VcC_ZjAMA0J4RoC-dsQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Would a regular probiotic powder for adults be ok, or  would it be too much on his system?

Just now, persephone said:

When does he get fed ? 

Does he have any bone content ? 

He gets fed twice a day, morning and evening. He gets a rmb every second day, usually Lamb ribs, I am trying to get him to eat chicken necks/wings but so far he has zero interest in raw chicken bones :banghead:

I also just bought an expensive pack of proudi premade raw beef patties (added ground bone), and he Reeeeefuses to touch it!!

• Like 1

I just gave him his first dose, I can't wait to see if it makes a difference.

His afternoon poops are always done while we are out on a walk, I know there's a word for exercise induced pooping which can sometimes cause them to pass soft stools, is it peritonitis??

What you describe isn’t all that unusual to be honest. 

I feed edible bone (chicken frames) some nights and balance that out with psyillum husk on other meals. 

All my dogs receive dog specific probiotics every night. The canine and human gut microbes are very different. You won’t do harm but you will waste your money. At the moment I’m using Blackmores Digesticare:

https://www.vetnpetdirect.com.au/digesticare-60-multistrain-probiotic-for-companion-animals

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Conclusions from a literature review at skeptvet.com 

Bottom Line
This review provides a concise survey of the probiotic research in dogs and cats to date, including an appraisal of the significant weaknesses and limitations on the existing studies. The bottom line is consistent with my own view of the literature.

• There are few studies, and those that have been done have significant limitations and often conflict.
  • There is reasonable evidence for some clinical benefit in acute diarrhea associated with stress or antibiotic use.
  • There is no high-quality, consistent evidence for most suggested uses of probiotics.
  • The unregulated probiotic products on the market today are plagued with inaccurate labeling and poor quality control. This means that even if probiotics might be beneficial in some cases, it is unclear if the actual products available could achieve these benefits.
  • There do not yet appear to be significant risks to probiotics, though the evidence for this safety also quite limited.
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Christine_72 said:

Well, he had pudding poop last night and bloody diarrhea this morning

perhaps no food OR probiotics today ...also NO human probiotics again ..se how he goes .
he may need a vet check too, with bloody diarrhoea ..that is NOT good :(

Edited by persephone

I think you should see a vet given bloody diarrhea.

FWIW, I give a dog/animal probiotic for reasons stated by TSD, but haven’t seen any improvement. :( I intend to try a different brand when I run out as a friend noticed her dog responded well to one brand but not others.

PS Is your dog truly happy on walks as stress can cause soft stools/diarrhea.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, persephone said:

perhaps no food OR probiotics today ...also NO human probiotics again ..se how he goes .
he may need a vet check too, with bloody diarrhoea ..that is NOT good :(

Usual softer poop last night, and he just did his normall perfect poop this morning, so i think it was too much probiotics. I'll hold off on the probiotics for now, and if i do add them again, I'll sprinkle a tiny, tiny bit in and if it happens again i wont give him any more! Someone advised adding a teaspoon of whole oats to his breakfast that may help firm him up. His afternoon poops arent puddingy, they're just not solid and well formed like his morning ones are.

15 hours ago, Papillon Kisses said:

PS Is your dog truly happy on walks as stress can cause soft stools/diarrhea.

His walks are the absolute highlight of his day! We go to the off lead  beach for 2 hours in the morning, but he looks forward to his evening walk the most, as we meet the love of his life named Wanda, they play, smooch and chase balls on the oval for 90 or so minutes. If they're late, he just sits there staring at the car park waiting for her to arrive.

• Like 2

We use Yakult  but bloody poo after being given a product could be a small bout of colitis which is a warning sign.
What happens if you just feed one meal ??or is this not an option .

We have never used a dog stuff & only use anything if required .
Dogs can do soft poos if muscle sore in the stomach .

You could also try Chlorophyll which is human stuff but so a great product for many things .
We use it when our girls are in season & i started to use it on one of my older boys who was getting a bad breathe (no teeth issues etc etc ) he was getting random loose stools & gets bowen treatment regularly but feel it was a result of his arthritis playing up & affecting him in general ,since putting him onto it no smelly breathe,stomach back to normal & the product helps with inflammation so all good we will be using it as a general product for all our dogs due to its other uses  & ourselves 

• Like 1

Guest crazydoglady99

Life space probiotics are fine (we have used them for humans and animals previously. Its the brand Augustine approved recommends)

Protexin is a multi strain one for animals. I use it for all my animals.

15 hours ago, sandgrubber said:

Have you tried feeding pumpkin? It has a reputation for stabilizing dogs' digestive systems 

Yes, I've given it to him here and there, but not on a regular basis, maybe i should add it for a few days in a row..

15 hours ago, RuralPug said:

Does he have a loose stool if you walk him elsewhere than the beach for a few days? It might be as simple as him ingesting seawater or kelp. Worth a try.

Excellent point! I'd say he would ingest bits of seawater when he grabs his ball from the water. 

• Like 1

It could just be the excitement of a walk/play .... :) 
I think the word you were seeking originally is 'peristalsis' . 
this can increase  with exercise/excitement ............  you may well have had a 'nervous tummy'  at some stage ... 
Obviously , if bowel contents are expelled sooner then planned ..they have not had as much liquid removed ..and so appear  different from  first thing in the morning , when the gut has been left to work along ,uninterrupted . 

• Like 1