German ban on Xmas adoptions

sandgrubber

Considering the type of applications and phonecalls we used to get at the rescue I worked at leading up to Christmas... I'd say it was a fairly good idea actually.

School holidays were also interesting... amazing how many calls you'd get for a small dog or puppy where they were primarily interested in the 2 week trial period as opposed to the actual animal in question. Basically, some people were looking for something to entertain the kids over the holidays, then returning it when it was no longer needed... *sigh*

Phonecalls on Christmas Eve desperate for a pup for the kids on Christmas Day... it's scary!

T.

• Sad 1

Sad really. If a rescue does their proper checks it's a great time of year to adopt! 

This would be harder for shelters though or those who aren't doing adoption applications and yard checks. 

Fortunately our phone numbers aren't public. We do tend to get those inquiries any school holidays and for urgent birthday presents any time of year. Primarily if we have pups or a young fluffy. People can really crack a wobbler if you tell them to hold their horses. :laugh:

• Like 1

Maybe it depends a lot on the sort of dogs you rehome? I can't say I've ever had any requests for holiday toys for the kids. I have rehomed dogs around the christmas period (one girl was only a few days before christmas) and all are still in their homes, and very loved.

In fact, when it comes to families adopting, I can't say I've ever had a family tell me that the dog was for the kids. I've had parents turn down dogs that their kids were mad for, because the parents didn't feel the connection. Most sensible adults want a dog they're happy with, because it will be a family member that they have to live with.

I honestly don't think we give the general public enough credit. The overwhelming majority of my adopters have been sensible, good people who want to help out a dog in need. And I suspect that they're probably about the average. That's not to say that idiots don't exist, but I don't think it's sensible to tar every potential adopter with the same brush, or to punish people in advance. 

• Like 3

many people prefer when they have a long weekend, holidays due or school holidays due so they can be home all day for as many days as possible  to bond with and give the new puppy their full attention while its settling in and learning where everything is..n establish a routine before they have to go back to work if they work.. the lucky ones work at home or can take their dog with them... that doesn't seem to be on the radar in that original post?

Edited by asal