Tibbie hair loss

karen15

A colleague has a tibbie that is losing a lot of hair. Coat is so thin skin and skin markings like dots are easily seen. Would anyone have any suggestions for vet to check? She is entire, so vet has suggested possible ovarian cyst and scans will be done. Blood tests have been inconclusive.  Any suggestions welcome.

Did the blood tests include thyroid tests?
How old is she?
Are there any other symptoms apart from the hair loss?
Does she have any history of illness or allergic reactions?
What is her diet? What sort of exercise does she have on a daily basis?

As far as I am aware, alopecia due to ovarian cysts is extremely rare indeed.

• Like 1

I mentioned thyroid today, so that's on the list to ask vet about.

History - under 2years old, apparently has runny eyes, so possible allergies, goes for walks daily, lives inside and outside, washed in sensitive skin shampoo that isn't oatmeal based, fed advantage kibble and some wet food - not sure what that is- plus pigs ears. 

I suggested trying a grain free kibble. I suppose raw would be another suggestion.

Hair loss has been the last couple of months. I'll suggest they look at what has changed in that time. Owner went away for a few weeks but family still home and hair loss started before then, but stress may have contributed in recent times.

Forgot to mention vet checked for mites and all clear there.

Edited by karen15

When was her last season many bitches can do massive coat dumps after a season .
Hormonal coat itching on some entire bitches can be a big issue .

Thyroid is certainly a contender & well worth ruling out .

Our friends have Tibbies & they drop coat like no tomorrow & constantly itches she is an entire bitch with a tight top coat ,never had the big Tibbie coat .

Have they tried the Cytopoint injection fro allergies

Edited by Dogsfevr

Just about every Tibbie (I assume we are talking Spaniel, not Terrier) that graces my grooming table has had runny eye issues. Please ask the vet to check for signs of entropian. 

As for the skin, at that age, I’d suspect Alopecia X if everything else has been ruled out. Most people have limited success treating that, but it tends to be a condition of aesthetics rather than a true health concern. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have only ever had male Tibbies here so I haven't any direct experience with female Tibbie hormonal coat loss, but based on other breeds, I would have thought that a couple of months is far too long for even an extreme seasonal thinning - hormones would have stabilised and coat regrowth have noticeably begun by now. The vet would have noticed the new growth for sure so I imagine that something else is happening.

1 hour ago, RuralPug said:

I have only ever had male Tibbies here so I haven't any direct experience with female Tibbie hormonal coat loss, but based on other breeds, I would have thought that a couple of months is far too long for even an extreme seasonal thinning - hormones would have stabilised and coat regrowth have noticeably begun by now. The vet would have noticed the new growth for sure so I imagine that something else is happening.

Some bitches can be shocking hence the reason i don't show coated bitches .I have owned bitches in the past who would dump coat to the extreme & by the time they where back in coat due in season again .Those bitches did do better after a breeding though .

Personally on a bitch like this if she wasn't been bred from or shown i would be having her spayed but the owners still need to make sure that with age her hormonal  reaction to seasons or potential  other factors is monitored & addressed .

Friends with Tibbies with the shorter top coat there shed & go naked when in season ,the heavier coated girls didn't seem too