HELP! 12 Wk Female Puppy - Chronic UTIs

peach2310

Hi all,

I have a 12 week old, female German Shepherd whose had chronic UTIs since we brought her home at 8 weeks old. 

The initial vet visit had her on antibiotics for 7 days. The UTI relapsed 2 days after finishing.

The second visit had her on antibiotics for 14 days, plus a urine culture. The UTI again relapsed 2 days after finishing. The urine culture indicated it was E-coli related and the prescribed antibiotic (amoxcilin) was sufficient for the bacteria.

I just took her for a third visit and again she is on antibiotics to tide her over. A vagina/vulva swab is being cultured. I'm worried that the swab is going to be similar to the urine culture and that ~2 days after finishing her antibiotics, the symptoms will come back again. An ultrasound/xray is a bit costly at the time being.

When she has the UTI symptoms start, i notice her vulva is inflamed, and has a bit of a rash like look. 

I am now giving her D Mannose supplements with her food twice a day. 

Anyone have had something similar? I've heard dogs with an "inverted vulva" tend to have issues down there. How can I definitely tell if it's an issue? I suspect it is. Does anyone in WA, south of the river, know of any vets who are familiar with an inverted vulva?

I am a bit stressed as she can't take her second vaccination due to the antibiotics.

Thanks,

a decent vet should know what an inverted vulva looks like. I'd be taking her to a different practise to get a 2nd opinion. I'd also be talking to her breeder. While I, if I was the breeder, couldn't give you any more advice about an inverted vulva then google could, I would be very concerned about selling a pup that had a UTI at time of sale.

• Like 1

Inverted is very easy to spot & any half wit vet can tell you .

What is her toilet routine ,does she squat into her pee,is she an obsessive licker of her privates .
What diet is she on .
Cranberry tablets  or even better Liquid chlorophyll  can be used for reoccuring UTI's  ,Consider using sudacream on her vulva as the burning can really create another issue with a sore private so try to ease the pain for piddling .

Agree inform the breeder ,does she have any other issues bad ears ,yeast issues ??

Edited by Dogsfevr

Our vet “prescribed” us cranberries and vitamin c, but you would want to discuss that with the Vet to get the correct ratio and make sure it doesn’t affect the abtiobiotics she’s currently taking. 

Do the full course of antibiotics then a follow up check (or second opinion ) for a more preventive action. 

And let the breeder know.

:’(

17 minutes ago, Dogsfevr said:

Inverted is very easy to spot & any half wit vet can tell you .

What is her toilet routine ,does she squat into her pee,is she an obsessive licker of her privates .
What diet is she on .
Cranberry tablets are great for UTI's & vets generally suggest ,Consider using sudacream on her vulva as the burning can really create another issue with a sore private so try to ease the pain for piddling .

Agree inform the breeder ,does she have any other issues bad ears ,yeast issues ??

I have informed the breeder. He didn't have much to comment on as he's never dealt with a UTI before.

We are giving her D Mannose which is the same sugar contained in cranberries.

She does tend to lick her privates which is why the vet gave us a cone to prevent her licking. We plan to keep the cone on for a couple of weeks after this current round of medication is done.

Other than that she doesn't have any issues. We are planning to wipe her with baby wipes after every toilet break she takes.

No to baby wipes  & you need to not over wipe but encourage soothing .If her privates become to sore she will not want to wee which is an issue

Never heard of the product your using & looking it up doesn't sound the best for UTI .

Diet can play a big role on a UTI prone animal.

AS for vets try Kudah  Dr Boekleman  (only)who is very offay with GSD & a reproduction vet https://www.kudahvet.com.au/

Edited by Dogsfevr
  • Like 1

have you checked the dosage of D mannose for a baby PUP her size ? remember..dogs aren't human . Cranberry is good  usually /I have used cranberry in humans dogs & cats ..but not the D mannose sugar  alone .

The only baby wipes which should be used are water ones ..and very gently .....really there should not be a need to . 

i second the idea for a second opinion . 
it seems extreme for multiple courses of A/B's ..and a cone , etc etc  all for a tiny pup yet .... :(

2 hours ago, tdierikx said:

She doesn't leak urine when she's asleep, does she? If she does, then I'd be looking at an internal issue like a shunt of some sort...

T.

Yes I was wondering about ectopic ureter but the more common causes would need to be ruled out first. Possibly even a trial of propalin before getting into heavy duty diagnostics?

• Like 1