RSPCA in the news

Two Best Dogs!

RSPCA in the news? Or RSPCA on your thoughts and not the news? Wanna talk about it without detracting from more specific posts that just happen to have the RSPCA involved but are definitely about a specific topic such as a specific puppy mill case?

Here's a thread to collect that.

Okay I will start the ball rolling

I thought that each state had its own regulations based on based on state laws. For example NSW has  Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act (1979) https://www.rspcansw.org.au/what-we-do/animal-welfare/prevention-of-cruelty-to-animals-act-1979/ and the ACT has the Animal Welfare Act 1992 https://www.legislation.act.gov.au/a/1992-45/ I think the other states also have their own legislation. I also thought that within a state each RSPCA had different guidelines on how they interpreted their state's legislation but I may be wrong. 

I live in the ACT and I am quite happy with what the RSPCA ACT does to protect animals from cruelty and abuse and I regularly make donations. It seems to me to be unfair to tar them all with the same brush if you are unhappy with your local one because they are all different.

Interesting article....n I was told by a then member of RSPCA NSW in 2000 the membership and AGM voting had been stacked and now controlled  by peta.

love the take on the "Niall Blair, saw through this and ordered the process to start again "

only took a few, ie TWENTY TWO thousand members of dogs nsw to get it through to him he had been hoodwinked... before he changed his mind about signing off on it though, then promised to engage more knowledgeable advisers (ie practicing veterinarians)  and assistance before blanketing all and sundry as would have been, if he had shoved it through.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/we-should-be-promoting-pet-ownership-not-making-it-more-difficult-20180423-p4zb4v.html?fbclid=IwAR0RHdZ814M1dDj12gEM5S_mjuIk9nRRacHJqMF-ueqcBlIJviCN1CMhOaA

THE BELOW LINK is in, the above story.

but it came so close to becoming law, PETA must be utterly furious they failed, so close to success.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/many-pet-owners-to-be-classified-as-pet-shops-under-proposals-20180406-p4z82d.html

Meanwhile Victoria has the lovely peta hugger Jaala Pulford.... busy.doing her best to do their bidding.

Kindly never forget this state has it law that you can serve ten years in jail for showing your dog if it was born in Victoria and debarked in another state if it belongs to a Victorian.... but any interstate owned or bred debarked dog can attend the same show?????  This law has not been repealed either...

a gotta love stupidity where ever we find it eh?

did a little and I do mean a little, googling.... my goodness.

https://www.markmaldridge.com/RSPCA-V-May.html?fbclid=IwAR3JSyV4XlOKY1Xc_VQO73x51QOBADav1oBP1LE336W2kA2OwGa91X7NOoA

Edited by asal
  • Like 1

The problem I have with RSPCA NSW is that getting them to investigate/attend actual cruelty cases is virtually impossible.

Either they don't have enough staff to cover the number of calls they get, or they are too busy going after the "easy" targets - ie. animal businesses/breeders who have a whole raft of extra criteria to cover to remain "safe" from RSPCA actions compared to the regular Joe Public.

I work for an animal business, and we asked the RSPCA if we could have a liason officer appointed so that we could work together for a common goal of compliance, etc... nope... not happening. Why would they not want to work together with animal businesses rather than against them?

Our business has regular DPI audits in order to keep our license... and every audit finds that we are operating well above all animal welfare standards as set out by law. We are highly aware of all standards (and monitor them regularly, as they can change without notice). We comply with POCTAA and its various regulations also.

Yet, if the RSPCA turn up and find an animal with a small amount of discharge from nose or eyes, or a bit of diarrhoea, that is grounds for seizure. Not withstanding that our animals are young farm animals - goats, sheep, cows, etc. - and they will stick their noses in chaff and loose hay, which inevitably causes a bit of irritation now and then... and goats are notorious for eating things they shouldn't and diarrhoea is their natural bodily function to rid itself of such things. Simple to treat mucky eyes, noses, and bums without having to run off to a vet for each and every case, but if you haven't done so when the RSPCA turns up, those animals can and will be seized and you will be charged and taken to court... then the real nightmare begins...

The RSPCA will lay a number of charges relating to any seized animals... and drag you through a long and expensive legal process... and usually just before you are all due in court to fight same charges, they will "magnanimousy" offer to drop most of those charges in order to get you to plead guilty to at least one. This way they are guaranteed a "win", and you will cop a hefty fine for that charge (which the RSPCA pockets), and a conviction will be recorded against you... along with a nice little newspaper article confirming your guilt on animal cruelty charges (and no mention of any dropped charges).

Funny how anyone who has had dealings with the RSPCA NSW seems to have a fairly low opinion of them in general.

T.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Many years ago I had a stall set up at a million paws walk and underneath the table I had crate which my dog was in basking in the sun. This was before crates where common and the only people that really used them were show people and true dog people. I saw the local inspector making a hurried beeline toward me, he came around to where I was sitting, stood there and stared at my dog who was half asleep, she opened one of her eyes looked at him for a short time went meh and closed her eye again. I was asked quite abruptly "why is your dog in there", I replied "to keep the other not friendly dogs away from her". He asked "does she want to be in there" I opened the door she opened her eyes raised her head saw I was still seated, leadless, treatless and hadn't asked her to come out, so promptly put her head back down and closed her eyes. I looked at the dog that he had with him who was at the end of its lead tense tail up and constantly pacing as far as the lead would allow it and said " of all the dogs that are here she is the about the only truly relaxed one". With that he turned and walked away.

Now while I don't read minds I think I would be fairly safe to say he came over with the intent to "have a go" at me about having my dog locked up in a cage, but he did see what Sasha was telling him.

• Like 3

And that in itself is a plus @m-j  .. doesn't always happen.  My young BC was comfortably in his show trolley at a similar event .. in the care of a friend, and well out of the way so he wouldn't be bothered by other dogs.  I was in a different part of the grounds with my girl as part of an agility display.   Luckily my friend was quite capable of dealing with the woman who was all gung ho about the cruelty of keeping the dog in a "cage".   This was just a member of the AR fringe I think, not an official.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Tassie said:

And that in itself is a plus @m-j  .. doesn't always happen.  My young BC was comfortably in his show trolley at a similar event .. in the care of a friend, and well out of the way so he wouldn't be bothered by other dogs.  I was in a different part of the grounds with my girl as part of an agility display.   Luckily my friend was quite capable of dealing with the woman who was all gung ho about the cruelty of keeping the dog in a "cage".   This was just a member of the AR fringe I think, not an official.

Yes it is good that people are concerned but when they are vigilante on a crusade it's nuisance at best.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, m-j said:

Yes it is good that people are concerned but when they are vigilante on a crusade it's nuisance at best.

SO TRUE.  

my standardbred Jody was feeling a little too fresh when mum was putting out the washing and decided to walk up to her, put his face against her chest and shoved her over...n mum weighed 18 stone so it was a heavy landing and she was NOT impressed despite the padding.

so figured if he has that much energy he can have a run on the lunge line over the road in the park....

soo working up a nice sweat and the fiery eye was started to soften when over comes and outraged "I a member of the rspca, A horse only sweats when it it in pain, stop hurting him or I will call them immediately."  

so as any good citizen I handed her the lunge line and let her 'TAKE care of him".

whereupon Jodie looked at the newcomer, walked straight to her, rested his head on her ample bousum and yep... PUSHED HER straight back onto her butt.....

mea? I was busy picking grass to feed the poor suffering beast and no I did offer to help her get back up, Jody would only had knocked her clean over again anyway...as it was, he was thoroughly enjoying his new acquaintance, giving himself a lovely head massage olong her back and shoulders until she asked me could I "please take him back now, I think he is ok now!".

she was still sitting there when she decided to hand me the lead back and we ambled back home...

One of my all time favorite memories...

only regret she didn't ask for a ride... he always dumps a newbie, stops dead and puts his head between his forlegs so they do the slippery dip ride to the ground and he stands there with his new foal between his forfeet looking soooooooo surprised and concerned....."ARE YOU ok ol chap? How on earth did that happen?"

no mention of the quick pig-root to make sure you go over the point of no return as he sides to his sudden stop...

so miss him, and people dont think horses can think, let alone have an awesome sense of humour

Edited by asal
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Jody sounds like a Welsh Mountain Pony I had the misfortune to trust while riding... lol! Face first into the bottom of a tree... grrr! She was soooo naughty! At least the trip to the ground was a short one... and I was wearing a crash hat that took most of the impact with the tree...

T.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/12/2018 at 6:01 AM, tdierikx said:

Jody sounds like a Welsh Mountain Pony I had the misfortune to trust while riding... lol! Face first into the bottom of a tree... grrr! She was soooo naughty! At least the trip to the ground was a short one... and I was wearing a crash hat that took most of the impact with the tree...

T.

Had the same crash too but missed hitting the tree, overfat bareback shettie decided to take off n dump me at the gallop, gravel rash from hairline, cheek , shoulder to toes. put me off shetties for a long time.

the good thing about Jody was he never dumped you until you asked him to stop, then he sure did stop....DEAD..  with his head between his legs and a little hop to make sure you went down the suddenly provided slippery dip... no flying off the shoulder to crash, just a nice slide down the slippery slope, and he would look ever so innocent.

the last time he tried it on me even his bridle came off with me.  I had definitely felt the hop sending me over the last inch of wither and realised I had been set up and hit the roof, yelling at him in fury at all the times I had come off thinking it was my fault.

got up and hit him on the chest and told him "do that again and I  will murder you". think he got the message and sort of looked startled and stepped back, thats when I noticed he had no bridle and it was at my feet.  then he backed up a bit further and started to trot across the road to get away from the furious human and I realised with horror he was heading for busy Marion Road.... so quickly changed my voice tone to the happy one I use when I'm calling him to come in from being lunged.... the silly idiot looked pretty confused..... looking back at me,  then suddenly decided ... gee shes forgiven me... goodies,,, cant miss my goodies and

swung round to came expectantly back to me.   so had to slap on a grin and give him cuddles and scratchies for being a good boy and not running in front of a car or truck...

that's the day I learned its not what you are thinking they read, its your tone of voice.

next time he tried stopping dead ... I growled, walk on or else your dog meat and guess who walked on?  never dropped me again.

taught him walk, trot, n canter on the lunge on saying the word, so even if someone else was riding him I could tell him what gait to do and they had no control over what he was doing :-)  

Edited by asal
  • Haha 1

gee

more links people keep sending me

https://m.news-mail.com.au/news/letters-rspca-ads-warm-and-fuzzy-but-wrong/3181171/?fbclid=IwAR3I8TX7hiRlnjro2WxO8MvDP9QwWO6oFXbwsMmgkunzPk2o-gUMMJCRdjI

this ones re england but australia is the same over run by the same inside

https://terriermandotcom.blogspot.com/2017/06/whats-wrong-with-rspca.html?m=1&fbclid=IwAR3ia5ym_takowpZQ2NboT171u1RmeK4IHsjer1O1PxzIeJg6CIFgHhjkaA

this one has amazing similarities even if the subject is CPS in Texas

Edited by asal
  • Like 1

On 09/01/2019 at 6:24 AM, tdierikx said:

Look closely at the piglets in the RSPCA Approved ads... some have skin lesions that look suspiciously like ringworm (common in farmed pigs - even moreso in free-range ones)... crackling anyone?

T.

I will,   gee have you seen this?

disgusting, one flea hatch when the humid weather kicks in and if its happened before the next flea application and your instant fine, revenue  raising at its best.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/home/pets/rspca-wants-power-to-issue-fines/news-story/3bb47fa63bc6cf13db5d0fe97f8791f3?fbclid=IwAR1ptzzl3JvWqD6xHMgX9Ybrfmavraf2DtlauBMlhoIuQGFJ_Sqa7utVpVM

received another link today 10/1/2019

overseas but interesting.

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/star-columnists/2019/01/08/court-ruling-means-ontario-must-find-a-new-way-to-enforce-animal-cruelty-laws.html?fbclid=IwAR2UnRmuQkMQoR0L1eFHP3n9TwS7c9fw51QVxbgugkSEGaeJ_jdhFNfOKRg

Edited by asal
  • Like 1

NZ has only SPCA.  It gets little government support.  Controversies... 1080 (SPCA wants to ban, protectors of native wildlife support use) and wandering cats.  It's a benign organization here, so far as I can see.  Does work to rescue and rehome, advocates desexing, but doesn't intrude. 

• Like 1

this video I think belongs here really even though it is from a slaughter that took place in 2007.... still happens as the owners of the murray greys discovered, as did a friend in Victoria who came home from shopping to their stud fresien's  to find all but the last three dead, then shot in front of them, they were dairy cattle, but also stud and show winners and their descendants. including Melbourne Royal champion winner.

https://www.theland.com.au/story/5326636/dairy-strength-in-jersey-reckons-sydney-royal-judge/?fbclid=IwAR3EJqjyMB32U_pe2ruLVeRo-WfB2VynJxi57eAGeGYSlRXlEDD_TwkFx0U

Compare the Sydney royal Champion for 2018 above and I think you will agree, she too would have been shot by this idiot... doesn't know a dairy cow from a beef breed same as the killer of the stud  Friesian's in Victoria.. 

https://www.holstein.com.au/static/uploads/files/holstein-j-2017-6-for-web-wfqyrhfmgtue.pdf

o my gosh everything in this article on champions would get the bullet at Ruths, particularly those on page 26 and 27 but doubt many  if any, would be spared  by  Ashton... those jutting tail vertebrae would have spelt the end for Fairvale Reg Josie 34th....ditto for Fairvale AJ Nola 28th's cavernous ribs and hips...........page 27...

Page 26........... Fairvale Gold Chip Butter 291st, 2 yr old Champion, sold for $9500 it says?

Edited by asal
  • Like 1

RSPCA rangers insist on using a standardised "body score" chart for all animals... which doesn't take into account the physical build of dairy cows and goats which have bony arses as a natural characteristic. This is even sillier when they use it on neonates - which every person actually versed in raising same can attest tend to look scrawny right before their next bottle feed... *sigh*

As for that video... some of the cows shot definitely did not look starved, and had nice full udders to feed their babies...

T.

• Like 2

gee, this is appalling!

even though AR have been caught out doing this before, just not on this scale

Edited by asal
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

well looks like the heat is heading for the right kitchen.

so far no mention of the other so famous footage of the cattle being beaten to death and what shut down the cattle shipment's.   Last I heard it was going to court after it was discovered the ear tags of the "alledged" cattle being filmed... Turned out the ear tags belonged to cattle that came from Australia BUT they had been slaughtered the WEEK before, the submitted video was filmed, in an Australian approved and equipped by Australia at our cost by the MLA. 

So far not a peep about who is going to be sued for the tens millions lost by so many affected by it (significant percentage lost their homes and livelihood)............From that instant shut down, from that was finally found to have been  a faked video....

Did it go ahead or is it in progress?  There is nothing to be found on the subject now.

by doing nothing about that one, just emboldens them obviously.

anyway latest press release.

https://www.queenslandcountrylife.com.au/story/5857621/animals-australia-under-siege/?cs=4707&fbclid=IwAR37obhnxhnZBQXcsqvEup-2KrqYRZcUFWQLxusXw4A5_6RijHft5ME9ojo

the faked cattle video gets a slight mention in this one

https://www.queenslandcountrylife.com.au/story/5856640/live-ex-producers-demand-answers-on-staged-footage-claims/?cs=4707

Personally I think the live export trade should never have been allowed. 

Edited by asal
  • Like 1